Charts Discussion - Thread of the Year ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Dean Judaster

Moderator 17,127
Just now, Delusional said:

3 minutes is perfect song length for me personally. Also, many people think Babylon is too short but I like that it’s quick and snappy. Imagine if it was released in 2010, it would be 6 minutes long and drag like Alejandro or Poker Face

But Poker Face and Alejandro don't drag. I wished Alejandro was longer, like the music video honestly. 

• paws up 2
  • shook 1
  • thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Delusional said:

3 minutes is perfect song length for me personally. Also, many people think Babylon is too short but I like that it’s quick and snappy. Imagine if it was released in 2010, it would be 6 minutes long and drag like Alejandro or Poker Face

In what world does PF and Alejandro drag, they aren't even that long :mess:

• paws up 2

A Popster Is Born 12,824
Just now, artgagapop said:

Just listened to Alejandro again, the way it's one of her best singles, deserved more success then it got :abel_glow:

I liked the demo sound more and also the fade out ending. With a demo element still kept and the fade out ending it'd have performed even better. I remember it peaked just inside the t10 in UK/US but is one of her biggest Eastern European hits

Just now, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

I liked the demo sound more and also the fade out ending. With a demo element still kept and the fade out ending it'd have performed even better. I remember it peaked just inside the t10 in UK/US but is one of her biggest Eastern European hits

yeah i looked at it's wiki page and US/UK are it's worst performing markets with almost top 3 peaks everywhere else :rip:

Popster for Sale 57,264
2 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

But Poker Face and Alejandro don't drag. I wished Alejandro was longer, like the music video honestly. 

Yeah PF and Alejandro repeat the name of the song many times in the end but it doesn't feel too much, it's like the best part of each song

I like that she usually makes long music videos too, Alejandro and Telephone being like 9 min long, BTW 7 min, MTN 13, You and I 6, Paparazzi 7 and let's not even talk about GUY mini film

That indeed affects the views since they are less replayable once you've watched them but at least they're a full experience with a story, compared to Katy and Taylor's basic green screened videos that are always as long as the song and that boosts the views and don't really deliver a full story

Pop-a-911-ster 30,382
19 minutes ago, Gagacharts said:

It´s really sad that songs become that short because of streaming.

• The Fame Monster (8 tracks): 34.09 min 
  • 7 EP (8 tracks): 18.44 Min

The quality was way better when songs were at least 3 min long.

I feel like it has much more to do with structure than length (even though both are obviously linked).

For example Rosalia's Milionària is barely 2:20 long but it's still satisfying to listen to because it has the whole Verse 1-Prechorus-chorus-verse2-chorus-bridge-finalchorus structure. The problem imo is how an increasingly ammount of songs now simply follow the structure of Main artist verse-chorus-guest artist verse - chorus and call it a day (like Rosalia's own song TKN, to keep her as the example) and that's what really sucks imo. I can live with songs being less than 3 min if what they cut is the intro and the innecessary repeat of the chorus at the end many songs from a few years ago had.

TLDR: yes I agree, but the problem is they are cutting song sections not time necessarily.

Edited by Andreu
  • thanks 2

Pop-a-911-ster 22,771
11 minutes ago, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

I can confirm that Alejandro was really big in Eastern Europe

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 2,014
1 hour ago, Fame Romance said:

I think the opposite 

Levels >>>> Hey Brother>Wake Me Up but they’re all queens 

smilega.jpg.4cb8e675e6e3f35ea09a2a3ab4b3

Agreed, although i think I could be the one and Lonely together are better than Hey Brother

Levels >>> Lonely together > I could be the one > Wake Me Up >> Hey brother

Edit:

This thread is mighty entertaining to read as i munch on my chromatica oreos :icant:

Edited by Mr. V
  • paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 30,382
24 minutes ago, Fame Romance said:

Speaking of The Fame Bible, they should’ve put the Halloween-esque beginning of the Bad Romance intro from the MV, it’s just so iconic :bradley:

I often play it from YouTube just for that part :oscar:

because it's a bach piece

Spoiler

She samples the Csardas on Alejandro tho but I guess this is different

• shook 3
  • thanks 1
  • yaas, gaga 1