Charts Discussion Thread (911 / Voting Era)

LetsGetHigh

A Popster Is Born 11,819
1 hour ago, ViviLittleM said:

Future Grammy winning masterpiece 

TAYLOR SWIFT
Title: EXILE (FEAT. BON IVER)
Certification Date: October 27, 2020
Label: REPUBLIC RECORDS
Format: SINGLE
GOLD

Nnnnn you need to stop with that :katy_pie:

Exile is the only song I heard from her album apart from Cardigan. Couldnt even finish it :ohyes:

• lol 2

Pop-a-911-ster 30,347
1 minute ago, Fame Romance said:

Well she did it for shorter than a Chromatica era restart :shakes:

yeah she must have topped it for 2 hourse bc I didnt even see it

Edited by Andreu

Popster for Sale 57,179

Not to spark a debate on the T person or to get Tankmatica dragged but Folklore is expected to fall to #11(-10) in the US this week with 27k units and 8k pure sales (down from 81k and 61k respectively)

The lack of hits is really hurting the album’s longevity when she doesn’t pull tricks for her fans to bulk buy 

Pop-a-911-ster 30,347
7 hours ago, Fame Romance said:

Not to spark a debate on the T person or to get Tankmatica dragged but Folklore is expected to fall to #11(-10) in the US this week with 27k units and 8k pure sales (down from 81k and 61k respectively)

The lack of hits is really hurting the album’s longevity when she doesn’t pull tricks for her fans to bulk buy 

I mean you didn't lie

https___static.t-cdn.net_5f055626a4cfac0

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 333
4 hours ago, Delusional said:

I wonder how Gagas career would have panned out if she started doing “Lady” kind of music (like Joanne, Cheek To Cheek, ASIB etc.) and then switched to Gaga.  (ARTPOP, BTW etc.)

I feel like she’d be bigger than Taylor Swift :shakes:

Short Answer: We wouldn't be discussing her. Having lived through it, she was everything Pop needed when she debuted and the wave of Gaga-inspired theatrics, fashion, videos/visuals, etc., that defined 2008-2012+ shows that asking how she could have been "bigger" is an inherently delusional question. She not only dominated the BB100 and BB200, but became one of the most influential stars of any medium during that time. The message of "Born This Way" alone beats any Award or Sales/Cert she might've missed. When her music stats began to trend downward, she pivoted into acting and collected a Golden Globe, Oscar, etc. for TV and film. Bigger? Seriously? 

Long Answer: "The GP" has literally NEVER given any indication that they prefer ballad-GA to dance-GA; this delusional rhetoric needs to be retired far away with its associates:
1. "she's streaming poison!" (top 3 female album debut on Spotify in 2020)
2. "radio HATES her!" (#11 / #10 singles 7 years after her last Top 10)
3. "her team is the best in the business!" (links 911 Instagram ads to random URL)

The 1st "ballad" Gaga released as an official single was "You & I" (2011) as the 4th off Born This Way. All 10 singles (The Fame - 4; TF/M - 3; BTW - 3) prior were dance-pop (at least up-tempo) and ALL went Top 10 on the U.S. Hot 100. During 2008-11, she became the biggest star on the planet and her work in this genre was rewarded with accolades like:
1. Best Dance/Electronic Album; The Fame (2010 Grammys) - Winner
2. Best Dance Recording; "Pokerface" (2010 Grammys) - Winner
3. Best Dance Recording; "Dance In The Dark" (2011 Grammys) - Nominated

"You & I" required a lot of effort to become a hit and ultimately led to the final burnout of the BTW era. It went #6 in the U.S. but wasn't as successful WW. Between then and C2C/Joanne/ASIB, Gaga released 3 more Top 40 hits that were dance / up-tempo ("Marry The Night," "Applause," and "DWUW"). Meanwhile, her Tony singles were 0/3 on the Charts and "Million Reasons" (#4) only managed a mid-50s peak prior to SBHTS. Only 2 singles were released off Joanne, despite the chance to leverage events like SBHTS / Coachella; "Million Reasons" - quintessential ballad-GA - carries the entire album, yet pulls less streams than older, pre-Spotify, hits "Bad Romance" and "Pokerface."

"Shallow" (#1) was the only official ASIB single, but as I've said before, ASIB had support unlike any Gaga album has or ever will; the drop between ASIB > Chromatica had little to do with the dance-pop subgenre and everything to do with the fact that LG6 is not an OST being played nightly in theaters, promo'd in TV/print/radio during a major Oscars campaign, etc. 

• paws up 9
  • thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Fame Romance said:

Oh my :rip: The difference is insane. Poor TayTay fans, they are given 342523425 different versions of the same album :shakes:

Kinda jealous tho :ally:

Credit Card Mail GIF by INTO ACTION

• lol 1

21 minutes ago, JustJames said:

1. "she's streaming poison!" (top 3 female album debut on Spotify in 2020)
2. "radio HATES her!" (#11 / #10 singles 7 years after her last Top 10)
3. "her team is the best in the business!" (links 911 Instagram ads to random URL)

1. We are not saying she's streaming poison because of the great debut that Chromatica had (we were all surprised because we didn't expect that much). We are saying it because she was not capable to maintain stable. Every week that passed, she was losing more and more streams. Her streaming power has improved a lot since Joanne, but the drops in streams she has suffered were not a good sign, or at least, not as fast as she was losing. This is my own theory, but maybe it happened because she's not that established on streaming platforms (if you think about it, only Shallow has "big" streams as in Billie Eilish standards and I'd like to consider LG6 as a "transition" album towards streaming.

2. We say radio hates her because they don't treat her like current artists like Dua. It's understandable, since Dua is the new thing and Gaga isn't. But ROM got snubbed on radio. THE biggest female collaboration in a long time with such hype around it should have at least reach the top 5 on pop radio. But well, it doesn't matter anymore, with that RS article, we can presume that all the current artists are very successful on radio because of "payola" or promotion. Interscope probably didn't want to spend that much and let it do what it could.

This is just my opinion tho :dragon:

• paws up 4

A Popster Is Born 11,819
18 minutes ago, ViviLittleM said:

Do y’all actually believe I’m reading those long a** essays

It contains the SC video release date, so you better read it

• lol 1