Charts Discussion Thread (911 / Voting Era)

LetsGetHigh

Popster for Sale 57,180
3 minutes ago, Thrasher said:

You can't but my point is, the daily difference in streams between Chromatica (a flop album) and folklore/Future Nostalgia (supposed smash albums) is literally 1.5m streams. Kind of the amount of a song (or two) playlisted on TTH + others. Like, not really a big deal...

Unless Taylor manages to have a hit out of the album Folklore will be doing Chromatica’s current numbers in 2 months. Even if Folklore had a much bigger debut due to the surprise effect/good press of the album both will converge to the same daily numbers with an offset of 2 months.

2 minutes ago, Thrasher said:

folklore was labeled as the 2nd coming of Jesus since day 1 while Chromatica was labeled as "her biggest bomb" past weeks 2-3, yet Gaga's biggest bomb is only 1.5m streams away from AOTY now.... For the sake of this narrative, they should push for some exposure and get close to folklore's daily streams (or FN, same thing). That would save Chromatica from its flop narrative and we all would be happy. Who cares for traditional singles, chart peaks etc. at this point, they're not gonna happen. 

Well I'm having a hard time reasoning this out to you because I never claimed Chromatica is that huge of a bomb nor did I claim folklore is the second coming. What I do know is folklore is doing relatively better and more stable in terms of streams and the daily difference gets bigger over a longer period of time. That's all I was trying to say. For the record, I said her team should focus on streaming for the next eras and not necessarily now, since there's not much left to go for at this point. 

Popster for Sale 41,784
1 minute ago, DeanClownchester said:

So how come Gaga coming from ASIB isn't getting a similar treatment, especially for a track with Ariana who is coming from sweetener and thank u, next back to back, also up there among Gen z's biggest pop stars? Face value ROM shouldn't have dropped that fast on TTH

SL was given very good playlist treatment on the first few weeks. When it was obvious the song was collapsing, Spotify started to withdraw support.

There are many factors on why some songs are on playlists. For example, freemium vs premium streams, % of returning listeners, etc. It's also not about how many absolute streams a song can bag, it's about the marginal streams (i.e. additional streams due to playlisting).

2 minutes ago, beng said:

SL was given very good playlist treatment on the first few weeks. When it was obvious the song was collapsing, Spotify started to withdraw support.

It's really like as soon as something is working in Gaga's favor, she does everything in her power to sabotage herself :nicki_scream:

Popster This Way 519
1 minute ago, DeanClownchester said:

So how come Gaga coming from ASIB isn't getting a similar treatment, especially for a track with Ariana who is coming from sweetener and thank u, next back to back, also up there among Gen z's biggest pop stars? Face value ROM shouldn't have dropped that fast on TTH

The answer relies on a pretty bad thing called "ageism", or more accurately in the following sentence: what's old, already-seen-and-told doesn't hold the same charm that something new, mysterious, and fresh like a new rising star has... ASIB was a massive success also because it showed the GP a completely new, reliably talented version of Gaga, while Chromatica's Gaga is a return of her dance-persona

The way Levitating was charting at #150 without TTH and it only jumped today at #80 because it was put on TTH...

If that doesn't tell you enough of how inflated and inorganic those streams are (since yall are in denial regarding payola) nothing else will.

• thanks 4

Pop-a-911-ster 31,709

Smile's Chartrun around the world :

Argentina 6 - OUT

Australia : 2 - 7 - 9 - 9 - 20 - 26-

Austria : 8 - 26 - 55 - OUT

Belgium (Flanders) : 7 - 31 - 63 - 169 - OUT

Belgium (Wallonia) : 5 - 38 - 103 - 124 - 140 - OUT

Canada : 5 - 52 - 66 - 95 - OUT

Croatia : 5 - OUT

Czech Republic : 35 - OUT

Estonia : 38 - OUT

Finland : 18 - OUT 

France : 17 - 61 - 90 - 133 - 160-

Germany : 14 - 45 - 76 - OUT

Greece : 51 - 60 - OUT

Hungary : 24 - 32 - 38 - OUT

Ireland : 9 - 38 - 74 - OUT

Italy : 10 - 60 - 96 - OUT 

Japan : 41 - 43 - OUT

Lithuania : 24 - 60 - 74 - 87 - 87 - 94

Netherlands : 13 - 89 - OUT

New Zealand : 4 - 21 - 30 - OUT

Norway : 25 - OUT

Poland : 24 - OUT

Portugal : 3 - 19 - 41 - OUT

Scottish : 3 - 26 - 46 - 75 - OUT

Slovakia : 28 - 73 - OUT

South Korea : 98 - OUT

Spain : 5 - 26 - 45 - 47 - 76

Sweden : 58 - OUT

Switzerland : 8 - 26 - 61 - 99 - OUT

Taiwan : 2 - ? - ? - ? - 1 - 4

UK : 5 - 25 - 54 - 91 - OUT

US : 5 - 54 - 104 - 160 - OUT

Only charting in week 6 in Australia and Lithuania (and Taiwan international, although not official). 
(Waiting for Spain and France's 6th week update)

spacer.png

• sad 1

2 minutes ago, DeanClownchester said:

Well I'm having a hard time reasoning this out to you because I never claimed Chromatica is that huge of a bomb nor did I claim folklore is the second coming. What I do know is folklore is doing relatively better and more stable in terms of streams and the daily difference gets bigger over a longer period of time. That's all I was trying to say. For the record, I said her team should focus on streaming for the next eras and not necessarily now, since there's not much left to go for at this point. 

No I wasn't attacking you, I was actually agreeing for the focus on streaming part :shakes:

And no of course you didn't claim that Chromatica is a bomb and folklore is the 2nd coming, but that seems to be the general perspective these days. And considering this, a 1.5m streams gap is not that hard to close, that was my point. 

Also, folklore is doing like ~700k streams more than Chromatica was pulling at this point. Really not that impressive considering it also has 3 songs more...

Popster for Sale 41,784
2 minutes ago, entela said:

The way Levitating was charting at #150 without TTH and it only jumped today at #80 because it was put on TTH...

If that doesn't tell you enough of how inflated and inorganic those streams are (since yall are in denial regarding payola) nothing else will.

Inorganic? Probably. Payola? No, as we’ve been told by a member in the industry. Don’t conflate the two issues

Popster This Way 519

HOWEVER, I'm confident in the resurging power Alice will have on Chromatica once it's released as its more than deserved official third single :ally:

The catchy "Oh ma, ma, ma"s, its Samsung's washing machine-like intro, the already legendary chorus... UGH, I can already see its Bubbling-Under energy smashing Antarctica, another frozen world

33 minutes ago, entela said:

Spotify playlist

Bad romane - 31M

Born this way - 17M

Million Reasons - 8.7M (The sabotage continues :rip:)

Million Reasons streaming sabotage hurts just as much as ARUTW not being a single. These 2 could both be going towards 1 billion streams right now if treated right but instead they make songs like PI and SL lead singles with campaigns that only last 1-2 weeks because it bombed so much it wasn't worth pushing anymore :gaga-scream:

• paws up 2

Popster for Sale 41,784
Just now, Miaou said:

@beng you snapped with your title :shakes: you need to add an "e" to "plui" cause it's "pluie"(rain in french) :shakes:

It’s a parody of you calling Iceland Island by only removing the last e in the French spelling

• shook 1
  • lol 1

Popster for Sale 41,784
1 minute ago, Gypsy Life said:

Pls. Ofc labels pay for Spotify playlisting. Yall think Spotify makes coins from your $4 subscription?

IMG_20201009_205549.thumb.jpg.49b5ac1908

Spotify makes losses in most financial years

A Popster Is Born 12,807
4 minutes ago, Mylo said:

HOWEVER, I'm confident in the resurging power Alice will have on Chromatica once it's released as its more than deserved official third single :ally:

The catchy "Oh ma, ma, ma"s, its Samsung's washing machine-like intro, the already legendary chorus... UGH, I can already see its Bubbling-Under energy smashing Antarctica, another frozen world

Well, I think any existing song off Chromatica won't take off. Especially as 911 was the song GP liked and that petty much went nowhere.

But I think if they gave Alice and FW similar pushes, and maybe actually went for a SC single release (if they Could remix it or extend it and get it on TTH like Dua with Levitating), then that'd be more than fine for the era, and it would secure platinum in the US - along with 1 or 2 more award show performances

Edited by ItsGenuineGuy09

A Popster Is Born 13,394
1 minute ago, Gypsy Life said:

Pls. Ofc labels pay for Spotify playlisting. Yall think Spotify makes coins from your $4 subscription?

IMG_20201009_205549.thumb.jpg.49b5ac1908

Prior to the radio payola exposé, people were saying the same thing about airplay. Now we need Rolling Stone to expose playlisting as well. 

• paws up 1

Popster This Way 519
1 minute ago, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

Well I think any existing song off Chromatica won't take off especially as 911 was the song GP liked and thst petty much went no where - but I think if they gave Alice and FW similar pushes and maybe actually went for a SC single release if they Could remix it or extend it and get it on TTH like Dua with Levitating then that'd be more than fine for the era and would secure platinum in the US along with 1 or 2 more award show performance 

The only songs on Chromatica I can see take off as a post-album single are Sour Candy, Alice, and Sine From Above honestly: each of them best represents the act they are on Chromatica, also they are the other two collabs and the album opener, so figures are already there :ally: