Official Joker: Folie A Deux Discussion thread

Gaga discussion pinned featured

Dirkje

A Popster Is Born 14,385
On 10/5/2024 at 6:16 PM, nydedan said:

when this iconic bomb gets more than 5 noms in oscars nomination morning...

Totally possible. The movie Nine was a huge disaster and got four nominations including best supporting actress. 

ARTPOPster 1,791
On 10/5/2024 at 7:47 PM, Adarsh said:

Totally possible. The movie Nine was a huge disaster and got four nominations including best supporting actress. 

yeah so far I could see:

highly possible - score, cinematography

possible - original song, sound, makeup&hairstyling, costume, production design

reach - supporting actress

Spoiler

surprised but not surprised: leading actor:icant:

• love 1

Popster This Way 917

Round Up of Joker 2 opening day/weekend

Box Office  
Domestic ~45m Debut weekend in USA   
Global respectable debut but less than Joker 1, pending numbers. Good numbers in Italy, Germany and India.

Critics/Audience Scores
RT 33/33   
MC 45/4.1   
Imdb 5.3
Letterbox 2.6   
CinemaScore D

Awards Buzz  
Praise mainly for Gaga and few for Phoenix by some publications. Golden Globes noms can happen, I expect also some CC noms.

OST/Music 
OST doesn’t seem to make much noise chart wise, but Folie A Deux is eligible for BOS and will be submitted.

:catwalk:

• love 1

A Popster Is Born 14,385
On 10/5/2024 at 7:28 PM, Lazz Monster said:

I can definitely see a GG and a CC nom for Gaga tbh, it's a flop but it's a flop that's making a lot of noise

The only positive thing is that we aren’t expecting anything from this movie now. So whatever nominations happen will be a bonus.

Edited by Adarsh
  • paws up 1
  • love 1

Popstanne 9,970
On 10/5/2024 at 5:46 PM, nydedan said:

when this iconic bomb gets more than 5 noms in oscars nomination morning...

I think we should keep our expectations as low as possible. WB is going to prioritize dune 2 and  furiosa (critically successful) for below the line categories.

This is probably going to be punching bag for hosts at award season, i just hope wicked/gladiator 2 take some heat off it.

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 1,791
On 10/5/2024 at 8:58 PM, Lazz Monster said:

I can definitely see a GG and a CC nom for Gaga tbh, it's a flop but it's a flop that's making a lot of noise

which would be a huge success. 99% actors would do anything to get one precursor nom in their careers. the fact that gaga swept precursors noms for two consecutive movies made it seem easy while actually it's not especially for singer turn actors.

~10 precursors acting noms would make her the top15 living actresses with the most precursors noms I believe

Edited by nydedan
  • paws up 1
  • love 1

Popster This Way 984
On 10/5/2024 at 2:58 PM, Lazz Monster said:

CC seems impossible currently. GG is a maybe but I can see Gaga wanting to avoid association with this movie going forward so she may not even attend if she's nominated.

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 29,067

#1 in Argentina Box-office with ~117k total tickets sold

1st day 60,5k tickets (Thursday)

2nd day 56,5k tickets sold (Friday)

It will be her first #1 box office weekend here :bradley:

• love 2

A Popster Is Born 12,162
On 10/5/2024 at 2:01 PM, Rusty said:

CC seems impossible currently. GG is a maybe but I can see Gaga wanting to avoid association with this movie going forward so she may not even attend if she's nominated.

I don’t think it’s likely, but many critics have defended her performance, so who knows

i definitely think she’ll attend if she’s nominated though, she respects the film industry too much to ignore a nomination

• paws up 1
  • love 1

Popster This Way 984
On 10/5/2024 at 6:06 PM, Lazz Monster said:

I don’t think it’s likely, but many critics have defended her performance, so who knows

i definitely think she’ll attend if she’s nominated though, she respects the film industry too much to ignore a nomination

This movie looks like it'll be the biggest bomb of the year ($150m+ loss for Warner Bros). I just don't see her hitching herself to that sunk ship in January to attend the GG for an award she would never have a shot of winning, especially when it'll be roasted by the host. It would only be a negative and further highlight her absence from SAG, BAFTA and Oscar ceremonies. She would have the perfect excuse if she's launching LG7 to avoid it, too.

But let's see.

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 2,226
On 10/5/2024 at 8:11 PM, Rusty said:

This movie looks like it'll be the biggest bomb of the year ($150m+ loss for Warner Bros). I just don't see her hitching herself to that sunk ship in January to attend the GG for an award she would never have a shot of winning, especially when it'll be roasted by the host. It would only be a negative and further highlight her absence from SAG, BAFTA and Oscar ceremonies. She would have the perfect excuse if she's launching LG7 to avoid it, too.

But let's see.

That is Megalapolis. Similar budget 10 million box office

A Popster Is Born 12,162
On 10/5/2024 at 2:11 PM, Rusty said:

But let's see.

I can see your point, but I dont think it’s that serious, she may even get praised for holding her head high even in midst of all the humiliation

It would only help her get more offers tbh. Studios/Producers would know she would never abandon a sinking ship

Edited by Lazz Monster
  • thanks 1
  • love 1

Popster This Way 984
On 10/5/2024 at 6:20 PM, 0707alp said:

That is Megalapolis. Similar budget 10 million box office

That will overall be a bigger box office bomb, but the majority of the production budget for that movie is from Coppola himself after he sold of part of his winery business to finance the movie. So Lionsgate's losses are likely <$100m, compared t up to twice that for WB on J: FAD.

It'll be interesting to see do any markets really like this. Italy seems to be on board for now, but Sunday will be an interesting breakdown. My cinema in London was pretty full, though it won't come close to the almost $75m the first one made here.

Popster This Way 984
On 10/5/2024 at 6:23 PM, Lazz Monster said:

I can see your point, but I dont think it’s that serious, she may even get praised for holding her head high even in midst of all the humiliation

It would only help her get more offers tbh. Studios/Producers would know she would never abandon a sinking ship

I really feel like she will be fine to get more work, and considering she has such big gaps between movies this will be long forgotten anyway. She can hopefully use some Grammy-winning for Die With A Smile as a well-timed critical boost.

I still think she will miss out on noms even at the GG based on the scores this film has. 

Also is it just me or did it feel like Brendan Gleason have more lines than her in the movie?!

• paws up 2

A Popster Is Born 12,162
On 10/5/2024 at 2:31 PM, Rusty said:

I still think she will miss out on noms even at the GG based on the scores this film has. 

Oh, I don’t expect any noms for sure, I’m just saying i wouldn’t be shocked

I really feel like she will be fine to get more work, and considering she has such big gaps between movies this will be long forgotten anyway. She can hopefully use some Grammy-winning for Die With A Smile as a well-timed critical boost.

I agree she’ll be fine, I was just saying why I think it wouldn’t be a problem if she attended, she’s probably already picked her next project tbh

Also is it just me or did it feel like Brendan Gleason have more lines than her in the movie?!

Spoiler

Sis… don’t even get me started, what’s the point of giving Gaga 1h of screen time if she’s gonna sing for 75% of it? :overit:

Edited by Lazz Monster
  • thanks 1

Popstanne 5,990

Can't believe we reached the point to say that she probably wouldn't even attend awards ceremonies if nominated in order to distance herself from this project, the whole situation is so depressing, hope we can move on as fast as possible.

• sad 1
  • thanks 1

A Popster Is Born 14,385
On 10/6/2024 at 12:02 AM, Leptine said:

Can't believe we reached the point to say that she probably wouldn't even attend awards ceremonies if nominated in order to distance herself from this project, the whole situation is so depressing, hope we can move on as fast as possible.

She just needs to announce the LG7 lead and we’ll all move on 

Edited by Adarsh
  • paws up 2
  • thanks 2