Official Joker: Folie A Deux Discussion thread

Gaga discussion pinned featured

Dirkje

Pop-a-911-ster 29,065

Saw some TikTok reactions of pre-screenings and opinions are mixed because of the meh script/plot (some said it’s not well done)

• sad 3

Pop-a-911-ster 29,065
On 9/29/2024 at 12:27 AM, Emi said:

Saw some TikTok reactions of pre-screenings and opinions are mixed because of the meh script/plot (some said it’s not well done)

But it’s true there are a lot of Joker fans giving their opinions.

Popster to Popster 4,841

I fear this is going to be 2024's THE FLASH aka a fine, average film that was super expensive and bombs. An opening of $45-65M is horrific. I think it's a mix of Joker fans being turned off because it's a musical, the DC brand being in the absolute gutter and WB waiting too long (5 years) to drop a sequel.

Edited by ConnorFilm
  • sad 3

On 9/28/2024 at 11:06 PM, ConnorFilm said:

I fear this is going to be 2024's THE FLASH aka a fine, average film that was super expensive and bombs. An opening of $45-65M is horrific. I think it's a mix of Joker fans being turned off because it's a musical, the DC brand being in the absolute gutter and WB waiting too long (5 years) to drop a sequel.

I'm somewhat excited for the postmortem analysis.

• lol 3

ARTPOPster 1,791

relax. according to Todd the budget is not 200M. I guess it's more like ~150M. the industry consensus is 2.5x for theatrical breakeven.

let's say JFAD did 150M domestic, 250M overseas (excluded China), and 20M China, the theatrical profit would be:

domestic: 150M * 50% = 75M

overseas: 250M * 40% = 100M

China: 20M * 25% = 5M

Total = 180M>150M

and there are also revenue from Bluerays, streaming platforms, TVs... It would not drill a hole on WB's financial statements instead it's more like a slightly better HoG scenario financial-wise

Popstanne 5,987

Honestly I kind of metabolized the situation, personally I was hoping for a good box office just because it could have helped her with her best actress chances of getting nominated, like if the movie was acclaimed but still bombing I wouldn’t be bothered, but basically everything went the wrong way, not even a BOS she can get out of this.. 

• sad 2

Popstanne 5,987
On 9/29/2024 at 7:59 AM, nydedan said:

relax. according to Todd the budget is not 200M. I guess it's more like ~150M. the industry consensus is 2.5x for theatrical breakeven.

let's say JFAD did 150M domestic, 250M overseas (excluded China), and 20M China, the theatrical profit would be:

domestic: 150M * 50% = 75M

overseas: 250M * 40% = 100M

China: 20M * 25% = 5M

Total = 180M>150M

and there are also revenue from Bluerays, streaming platforms, TVs... It would not drill a hole on WB's financial statements instead it's more like a slightly better HoG scenario financial-wise

The issue remains the comparison with the previous movie, these numbers doesn’t make it a huge bomb like ‘Megalopolis’ but it would still be considered an underperformance (and so a flop).

Also the 200M$ budget has been revealed by majority of media outlets like Variety and it will be considered true no matter what Philips says.

Popstanne 5,549

Joker was not a right project for her 

She needs to tone down n do indie films with great directors im sure there lies her chance of what she expects from her acting career 

I never trusted todd anyways n it seems like he is the one who f-ed up 

joaquin knocking himself off w the controversy n todd kicking himself n gaga off 

I dont expect joker to pull any major nominations

So lets just hope she wins ROTY/SOTY with DWAS n LG-7 era turns out to be fruitful n eventful for everyone n a grand tour following it 

Popstanne 5,549

Everything happens for a good thing so maybe joker flopping would ACTUALLY benifit her in a sublime way that we cant even imagine of

Edited by Ayobabylon
  • paws up 1

Popstanne 5,549

n either way i dont see the award hype for gaga they like her in the film but Phoenix again is the center of the film 

she is not bad thats enough for me to let go This project n i admit without DWAS n LG-7 this era would have been depressing but yeah let it go for good if the nods come surprisingly well n good if not we have LG-7 and Grammys 2025 to look for 

A Popster Is Born 13,279
On 9/28/2024 at 6:25 PM, nydedan said:

They had some early screenings in Taiwan a couple of days ago and the reactions were surprisingly good to great -  People seemed to recognize Todd Phillips' adventurous choices with the script (the "middle finger to incels") and of course praised the acting performances amd musical numbers. 

Reveal hidden contents

one person even said that Gaga is not as sidelined as some people had claimed her to be. she has plenty of screentime - more than 50 minutes and could effectively be considered a lead performance

I told you Asia and mainland Europe will cushion this @Leptine

Moderator 9,578

I'll judge if this was a great movie and how Gaga was in it AFTER I saw the movie :cm: 

• yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 1,327
On 9/29/2024 at 5:59 PM, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

I told you Asia and mainland Europe will cushion this @Leptine

We are usually very supportive of Gaga's project so take Taiwanese's opinions with a grain of salts:icant:

But for now it's like 80 positive vs 20 negative here. Most people who dislike this film said that the ending is very disappointing but praised the acting/aesthetics.  

ARTPOPster 1,327
On 9/29/2024 at 11:16 AM, GraceRandolph said:

spacer.png

JFAD's budget is way lower than Indiana Jones, it would be fine if we get similar performance in box office.

I think Gaga can pull big number in Asia/Europe. Indiana Jones was a non-event in many Asian countries, I barely see anyone talk about that film when it hit cinemas. 

On 9/29/2024 at 5:24 AM, Gabi said:

JFAD's budget is way lower than Indiana Jones, it would be fine if we get similar performance in box office.

I think Gaga can pull big number in Asia/Europe. Indiana Jones was a non-event in many Asian countries, I barely see anyone talk about that film when it hit cinemas. 

Yeah the overseas box office is going to have to do some heavy lifting because it’s looking like an underperformer domestically. 

ARTPOPster 2,075

It is what it is that musicals don’t really do well.
i hope this film will do around $70m first week because at least that sounds nice compared to the 60s or 50s which is truly embarrassing :bradley:

• paws up 1

On 9/29/2024 at 8:18 AM, Miaou said:

:dead: Not ready for the BOMBAGE :dead:

next time with a big project (including LG7) we better stay humble :dead:

Gaga never should’ve signed onto DC. It’s honestly a cursed brand. 

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1