The Drought Era - Charts Discussion Thread

Dean Judaster

Popster for Sale 57,180
On 11/21/2023 at 8:40 PM, SweetOreosOfHeaven said:

now? :mess:

isn't BTD one of the best selling debut albums ever? 

It sold 18M global units according ChartMasters

Tones of debut albums sold 20-30M+ (Gaga, Britney, Whitney, Alanis Morisette debuts all sold 30M+ to cite some female examples) but it is indeed impressive for an alt album + the insane longevity it’s pulling 

• paws up 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:00 PM, Leptine said:

I am not.

Well then of course you havent heard it. Saying The Hot 100, a US chart, doesn't mean anything because you didn't hear its #1 YE song doesn't make sense when you don't live here.

That song was/is everywhere.

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,593
On 11/21/2023 at 10:06 PM, Arturo said:

Well then of course you havent heard it. Saying The Hot 100, a US chart, doesn't mean anything because you didn't hear its #1 YE song doesn't make sense when you don't live here.

That song was/is everywhere.

I legit never said that, this is your assumption.

In today music streaming consuption, overall and daily streams especially in the long run have more value than the Hot100 peaks in indicating a song success, you have 'Break My Soul' a #1 Hot 100 song getting outstreamed today by songs that didn't even enter in the top50 of the Hot100.

The Hot100 has became less reflective of a song success these days, the US music market has always been extremely influential in the international music market and where I live specifically, songs that were big on the Hot100 were usually big also in my country as well.

Popster for Sale 44,636
On 11/21/2023 at 9:20 PM, Leptine said:

In today music streaming consuption, overall and daily streams especially in the long run have more value than the Hot100 peaks in indicating a song success, you have 'Break My Soul' a #1 Hot 100 song getting outstreamed today by songs that didn't even enter in the top50 of the Hot100.

The Hot100 has became less reflective of a song success these days, the US music market has always been extremely influential in the international music market and where I live specifically, songs that were big on the Hot100 were usually big also in my country as well.

The Hot 100 is not meant to be a reflection of a success a song has overseas though. You could've just used the "local" drag. 

On 11/21/2023 at 1:20 PM, Leptine said:

You did though: This, I had never hear the Morgan Wallen song that is #1, whereas 'Flowers' was everywhere, the hot100 doesn't mean anything anymore.

Anyways, I agree the H100 isn't always indicative of whats popular especially on a week to week basis. I'm glad they've put in effort to reduce influence from K pop fans that were unfairly affecting the charts. The decrease in Kpop #1's shows their efforts worked.

But with that being said, I do think their Year End charts are pretty reflective of what was actually popular because you need some staying power to chart. The only issue with the Year End chart (which is not their fault) is when artists release in a way that makes the songs' points split in between 2 years. For example Shallow being #19 on YE 2019 and N/A on 2018 when if it would have been released a month later it probably would have been Top 10 on 2019 YE.