The Drought Era - Charts Discussion Thread

Dean Judaster

LG has found more recent success in her movie career and her beauty startup than in pop music.

She's also become so famous and so burned by the toxicity on social media that she's given up on trying to connect with fans.

It's sad for us and not what we want. We want her to be relevant in pop music, but the truth is that she appears to be happily moving her music career into legacy mode while she builds up her name in film/tv and the beauty world. She's crushing it at both of them.

Edited by thehanyo
  • paws up 1

Popster This Way 691
On 9/29/2023 at 7:29 PM, zoldyck said:

Its clear, fans want pop when DOC (a one-year late remix album) opened with bigger numbers than L4S. 

Lady Gaga stopped caring what fans wanted about 9 and a half years ago.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:48 PM, Gagacharts said:

The update is great, it did 338k in 7 hours. That would be 1.16M in 24 hours.

Sweet Sound of Heaven (Edit) - 190.582

Sweet Sound of Heave - 147.866

Total - 338.448

Exactly, Angry debuted with 258k on a Wednesday and peaked with 754k on Friday with playlist support, we will only know the truth about SSOH tomorrow with its first full day + playlist support. Comparing partial numbers, SSOF has already done better than Angry.

• love 1

Popster to Popster 4,833
On 9/29/2023 at 10:05 PM, thehanyo said:

She's also become so famous and so burned by the toxicity on social media that she's given up on trying to connect with fans.

She's more silent for her own good, her fans has nothing to do with it, she just realized that It's better for her mental health to have a more private life. To be completely honest, I'm much more happy to see her that she's fine than to go back in time and see and hear her saying how much she's struggling and how much pain and sadness she has, with that mindset that she had idk how much longer she will have lasted...

On 9/29/2023 at 4:05 PM, Gagacharts said:

It´s amazing how this little feat, that was released 7 hours before the tracking day is over, boosted her discography.

Right? I can't wait for tomorrow's numbers, especially since they will be Friday's numbers. Even if the song doesn't debut on Global Spotify, her discography has already got a great boost so it's a win-win situation.

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 27,681

Gaga´s Spotify Update:

Telephone - 596.752.029 (+403.748) [+37k compared to last week]

Judas - 372.522.792 (+358.766) [+13k compared to last week]

Applause - 464.075.828 (+327.374) [+18k compared to last week]

Love Game - 309.267.599 (+311.032) [+12k compared to last week]

Alejandro - 384.837.801 (+309.272) [+5k compared to last week]

Million Reasons - 753.236.226 (+307.118) [+27k compared to last week]

Born This Way - 536.944.905 (+306.104) [+10k compared to last week]

• paws up 6
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster This Way 691

The people "sad" at Lady Gaga's career right now not giving new content they want need to remember her peers (i.e. those very active during her peak):

Rihanna - No studio album in almost 8 years, no major song since 2017. Failed transition to film. Full pivot to beauty world and an abysmal Super bowl spot this year.

Britney Spears - No studio album in 8 years, no major song since 2011. Vegas shows were the sole headline of her past decade that weren't about personal struggles.

Kesha - Career nosedive after 2012 with almost no commercial success since.

Katy Perry - 2 studio albums since 2013, both of which will take years to surpass just 3M units worldwide despite being radio-friendly pop albums with big pushes and several singles/droplets added. Touring power evaporated and even a Las Vegas residency showing poor sales.

Adele - Huge album sales which have waned following an unattainable peak across 21 and 25. >4 years between releases, one major tour and a Vegas residency in the last 15 years.

Taylor Swift - Relentless career drive, major commercial success not seen by any other act currently. A phenomenon.

Beyoncé - 6 year gap between studio albums, collaboration albums in between with little to no commercial success (particularly The Lion King stuff). Failed transition into film. 2022-2023 is an active era with a huge tour, though the album units are not what the PR might suggest.

Pink - Significant commercial drop off after her 2012 era with no major hits since then. Three studio albums since then, all with hugely decreasing returns. Strong touring maintained.

Gaga is at worst somewhere in the middle of these in terms of output and return. Even in her "off" years she does movies, the Vegas shows, soundtrack songs, jazz side albums, remix or anniversary editions of albums, and now collaborations into other genres ala The Rolling Stones. I think that's pretty stan worthy.

mTE0mGf.gif

Edited by Rusty
  • paws up 3
  • hugs 1
  • thanks 1
  • yaas, gaga 2
  • love 1

On 9/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, LGMonster95 said:

She's more silent for her own good, her fans has nothing to do with it, she just realized that It's better for her mental health to have a more private life. To be completely honest, I'm much more happy to see her that she's fine than to go back in time and see and hear her saying how much she's struggling and how much pain and sadness she has, with that mindset that she had idk how much longer she will have lasted...

I agree but that doesn't change the fact that she can't be relevant in pop music while disengaging from fan and social media interaction. They're mutually exclusive. Taylor has a deep and consistent connection with her fans and she's been rewarded for it. She also plays the media game better-- whether going to dinner with Sophie Turner or attending that football game, she puts her face in public with relevant/trending topics.

I don't say this to criticize her at all. She can do what she wants. But I do think it explains why she may underperform in the pop music world.

Edited by thehanyo
  • paws up 1
  • thanks 2

A Popster Is Born 18,409
On 9/29/2023 at 9:30 PM, Rusty said:

The people "sad" at Lady Gaga's career right now not giving new content they want need to remember her peers (i.e. those very active during her peak):

Rihanna - No studio album in almost 8 years, no major song since 2017. Failed transition to film. Full pivot to beauty world and an abysmal Super bowl spot this year.

Britney Spears - No studio album in 8 years, no major song since 2011. Vegas shows were the sole headline of her past decade that weren't about personal struggles.

Kesha - Career nosedive after 2012 with almost no commercial success since.

Katy Perry - 2 studio albums since 2013, both of which will take years to surpass just 3M units worldwide despite being radio-friendly pop albums with big pushes and several singles/droplets added. Touring power evaporated and even a Las Vegas residency showing poor sales.

Adele - Huge album sales which have waned following an unattainable peak across 21 and 25. >4 years between releases, one major tour and a Vegas residency in the last 15 years.

Taylor Swift - Relentless career drive, major commercial success not seen by any other act currently. A phenomenon.

Beyoncé - 6 year gap between studio albums, collaboration albums in between with little to no commercial success (particularly The Lion King stuff). Failed transition into film. 2022-2023 is an active era with a huge tour, though the album units are not what the PR might suggest.

Pink - Significant commercial drop off after her 2012 era with no major hits since then. Three studio albums since then, all with hugely decreasing returns. Strong touring maintained.

Gaga is at worst somewhere in the middle of these in terms of output and return. Even in her "off" years she does movies, the Vegas shows, soundtrack songs, jazz side albums, remix or anniversary editions of albums, and now collaborations into other genres ala The Rolling Stones. I think that's pretty stan worthy.

mTE0mGf.gif

All of this is correct but we were talking about her social media activities and her ig pics flopping. 

I, personally, am grateful that she’s active even in her off era. 

Popster to Popster 4,833
On 9/29/2023 at 10:30 PM, thehanyo said:

I agree but that doesn't change the fact that she can't be relevant in pop music while disengaging from fan and social media interaction. They're mutually exclusive. Taylor has a deep and consistent connection with her fans and she's been rewarded for it. She also plays the media game better-- whether going to dinner with Sophie Turner or attending that football game, she puts her face in public with relevant/trending topics.

I don't say this to criticize her at all. She can do what she wants. But I do think it explains why she may underperform in the pop music world.

When Gaga released Chromatica she was having both success with it and had fan interactions (untill COVID and BLM forced her to be silent) she's more silent nowadays but at the same time knowing her, she can always come back and interact with her fans if she's in the mood. Taylor is Taylor, I believe she does most of the stuff because she doesn't want to lose her huge momentum, her selling is the most interesting thing about her and she's doing the absolute most to keep it, if she's losing her selling game then she'll just become idk just basic, Gaga in comparison has a lot more to offer imo.

• paws up 1

Popster This Way 691
On 9/29/2023 at 8:34 PM, DonnieDarko said:

All of this is correct but we were talking about her social media activities and her ig pics flopping. 

I, personally, am grateful that she’s active even in her off era. 

Her social media interaction went from being revolutionary to being a factor that made her too niche. Nowadays it’s pretty clear a team manages it and she has virtually nothing to do with it by choice. Which is fine… it’s just a shame the posts are almost all for makeup. Even bad selfies would generate more traction…

Popster for Sale 44,745
On 9/29/2023 at 8:05 PM, Gagacharts said:

It´s amazing how this little feat, that was released 7 hours before the tracking day is over, boosted her discography.

Yeah, I'm guessing because TRS fanbase doesnt have a lot of overlap with people who usually would stream Gaga. Cool.

Popster for Sale 44,745
On 9/29/2023 at 7:48 PM, Gagacharts said:

The update is great, it did 338k in 7 hours. That would be 1.16M in 24 hours.

Sweet Sound of Heaven (Edit) - 190.582

Sweet Sound of Heave - 147.866

Total - 338.448

And it was such a lowkey drop... they took hours before actually announcing it on social media. Not to mention the playlist support will only affect friday. Perched for tomorrow's numbers. 

A Popster Is Born 18,409
On 9/29/2023 at 9:52 PM, Rusty said:

Her social media interaction went from being revolutionary to being a factor that made her too niche. Nowadays it’s pretty clear a team manages it and she has virtually nothing to do with it by choice. Which is fine… it’s just a shame the posts are almost all for makeup. Even bad selfies would generate more traction…

Exactly. Which is why we started to talk about it in the first place. Her social media activity is just boring. I wouldn’t say she’s inactive (or dettached), because she’s posting a lot, but her content is just boring. 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,833
On 9/29/2023 at 10:30 PM, Rusty said:

mTE0mGf.gif

It is INDEED stan worthy, fans just expect her to be the best at everything and when she's not, they act like her career is doing bad when that's FAR AWAY from the truth. To this day I'm not taking anyone seriously who says that Chromatica is nothing but a flop when that album won a grammy, went #1 and had a #1 HIT SINGLE (let me remind everyone that before Shallow, Gaga didn't had a #1 hit single in like +7 YEARS and we were literally SCREAMING when Million Reasons reached #4 on Hot 100 for like a week) it sadly didn't had longevity but it doesn't take away its great achievements. Also her movie career is doing fantastic, her tour did amazing, her residency is doing amazing, literally everything she does is getting praised left right and center, sure there's room for improvement here and there but still, she's in much much better place than many others.

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 31,828

The comparaisons with Taylor are useless

Taylor is a marketing queen obsessed with numbers and creating a perfect image 

Lady Gaga is simply an artist who cares only about her art and the way to express it through her career