The Drought Era - Charts Discussion Thread

Dean Judaster

Popster to Popster 3,908
On 8/26/2023 at 9:13 PM, DonnieDarko said:

Chromatica is an excellent album that was praised by the critics and the fans and it had poor longevity due to all kinds of circumstances. There’s really nothing more to the story. 

The best i can say it that its not a bad album as many twitter stans claims

On 8/26/2023 at 10:47 PM, China said:

Yes... The lack of lyrics in the chorus affected the streams of the album's singles. There's no way you can sing choruses without lyrics and that disconnects the song from the gp, who love a catchy chorus to sing at the top of their lungs.

The problem was her disconnect with the fact of relatabiliy

she gets too indulged in metaphors and music as an art from that she doesn't care how people will perceive it 

Lyrics about depression that too in a metaphorical way looks good on paper only but she mixed them with cheap beats of bloodpop

Keep my dolls inside my boxes

Id rather be dry atleast im alive

Your monsters torture me 

These lyrics won't connect to people outside the base which effected its longetivity

She could have made a worse album midnights or positions with soulless love songs and it would've done 100 week easily 

• lol 1

UTBY debuted with nearly 4M despite ESV underpeforming. Nearly 17 years into her career, she's performing on par with new girls with Olivia, whose latest single did over 5M streams on its first day.    

UTBY is also #2 on YouTube U.S. and it's the most streamed pop song on AM US. A pretty solid debut. Nothing spectacular like Flowers, but those numbers are far from "bad."   

On 8/27/2023 at 12:27 PM, lookwhatyoumademedo said:

How are these numbers "bad" exactly? She's predicted to score another top-10 hit in the U.S. next week.   

They are when you are coming from a huge song like Flowers. Miley fans were acting like she was a huge popstar when Flowers was smashing, and now she’s suddenly not big anymore and ITBY is doing more than fine for a popstar like her? Please :laughga:

Popster for Sale 41,786

But I thought ESV didn't underperform? :icant:

So we shouldn't expect an album to do well coming from a supposed huge smash but we should expect the next single to not do well coming from an underperforming album?

The mental gymnastics :icant:

On 8/27/2023 at 1:48 PM, Matteo Remondi said:

They are when you are coming from a huge song like Flowers. Miley fans were acting like she was a huge popstar when Flowers was smashing, and now she’s suddenly not big anymore and ITBY is doing more than fine for a popstar like her? Please :laughga:

>Miley fans were acting like she was a huge popstar when Flowers was smashing
Well, she is a huge pop star. She's just had the biggest song of the year, and she's going to effortlessly score another top-10 hit in the U.S. 17 years into her music career while girls like Katy cannot even chart.  

>And now she’s suddenly not big anymore

You are moving the goalpost. Olivia's new song did a little over 5M streams on its first day despite coming off one of the biggest pop eras of the decade. Miley's new song doing almost 4M on its first day is definitely not "bad" lol (especially for such a boring and mediocre song). I'm actually surprised that it's doing relatively well in the U.S. considering that Jaded, which is a much better ballad, flopped. 

Moderator 17,110

I'll just remind everyone that SL debuted with 4.2M on Spotify Global and 5.7M on Spotify overall. Even back then, people said the song debuted with underwhelming numbers and Gaga did not have the biggest song of the year so far back then.

• thanks 2

On 8/27/2023 at 12:53 PM, BenG said:

But I thought ESV didn't underperform? :icant:

So we shouldn't expect an album to do well coming from a supposed huge smash but we should expect the next single to not do well coming from an underperforming album?

The mental gymnastics :icant:

They are so funny

• lol 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:01 PM, Matteo Remondi said:

They are so funny

I don't see the contradiction here. Nobody denies that ESV underperformed since River and Jaded both flopped. The era is still a success because it was carried by a single massive hit. The fact that Jaded failed to even crack the top 40 was a sign that another Miley's ballad wouldn't do well, which is why these numbers are definitely not bad.         

On 8/27/2023 at 2:01 PM, corvus albus said:

I'll just remind everyone that SL debuted with 4.2M on Spotify Global and 5.7M on Spotify overall. Even back then, people said the song debuted with underwhelming numbers and Gaga did not have the biggest song of the year so far back then.

But no one called these numbers "bad" except for OGHs. SL had a decent debut. The problem is that it started collapsing like a rock shortly after its debut. If UTBY has the same trajectory during its first two weeks, I will definitely call it a flop.   

Spotify US: 2-8-13-13-15-16-17-41-42

Popster This Way 603

Miley is a unique case of career comeback in a sense she went from totally DOA album(Younger Now) to monster hit(Flowers). This didn’t happen overtime, but her releases since 2018 played a crucial role to this.  Nothing Breaks Like A Heart became a hit with streaming longevity, followed by Plastic Hearts that although had a moderate debut, it had amazing streaming longevity. Then Flowers happened and UTBY seems more like an era closer for ESV, could become a hit in ballad friendly countries.

On 8/27/2023 at 6:13 AM, Ayobabylon said:

The best i can say it that its not a bad album as many twitter stans claims

The problem was her disconnect with the fact of relatabiliy

she gets too indulged in metaphors and music as an art from that she doesn't care how people will perceive it 

Lyrics about depression that too in a metaphorical way looks good on paper only but she mixed them with cheap beats of bloodpop

Keep my dolls inside my boxes

Id rather be dry atleast im alive

Your monsters torture me 

These lyrics won't connect to people outside the base which effected its longetivity

She could have made a worse album midnights or positions with soulless love songs and it would've done 100 week easily 

Absolutely not. Gaga should release the music she wants to. If she wants to make an album filled with relatable love songs, then I will be first in line to buy multiple copies. But only if she wants to. 

Edited by Thatkat4

On 8/27/2023 at 7:13 AM, Ayobabylon said:

Exactly, that's why she's Lady Gaga and the others are just another singers.