The Drought Era - Charts Discussion Thread

Dean Judaster

Popster for Sale 44,583
On 12/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

Regardless of how big a hit was in the digital era, it doesn’t always mean it translates the same to streaming - we used to see this all the time for Gaga’s streams. The original point was her moves 2015-2018 fans didn’t understand transformed her streams and kept her from being Xtinct’d

ASIB has helped (especially between 2018-2020) but I feel like her biggest hits would've been rediscovered by tiktok and younger generations regardless. It's hard to know for sure how things would've played out without ASIB but her early discography has had bigger growth thanks to tiktok than it had back then through ASIB. This is just off the top off my head but I feel like ASIB + JD/BR/PF were doing all of the heavy lifting and the rest of her streams were pretty bad. That's not the case anymore were almost every single of hers has gone viral, and a couple of deep cuts as well. 

There's little (not zero) hope for Katy having a hit record in the future, she has gone through no rebranding, but her early eras are doing incredible as well. Gaga's rebranding kept her career moving forward and gave her footing to still remain relevant and not just chained to her early hits, I agree with that, but I think this ressurgence of TF/TFM/BTW (and ARTPOP too a much smaller extent) could've happened anyway. 

Edited by SweetOreosOfHeaven
  • paws up 1

oh wow, the fact Bloody Mary could have been her most streamed songs in 2023. Anyway great run for Shallow, it is losing the crown to PF, BR or J:FAD song next year.

Edited by zoldyck
  • paws up 4
  • shook 1

Popster to Popster 3,412
On 12/28/2023 at 6:02 PM, zoldyck said:

oh wow, the fact Bloody Mary could have been her most streamed songs in 2023. Anyway great run for Shallow, it is losing the crown to PF, BR or J:FAD song next year.

More like losing the crown to LG7 lead single :applause:

• yaas, gaga 2

Popster for Sale 44,583

@ItsGenuineGuy09 more thoughts nobody asked for:

While I think a bikini SNL performance is optional, the timing for a «dark pop era» has never been better. Gaga's more goth-y sounding songs have benefited the most, and these past few years she has gained a lot of "edgy alternative" young fans, paying attention to her trends on tiktok: goths, scene kids, anime and videogame fanbases, and edgy sports guys have been behind most (if not all) her trends, and generally seem to really love her (just looking through edits, comments and stuff like that it's definitely the feeling I get).

Back in 2019 suddenly every soccer mom and beer bellied dad was supportive of Gaga, but I feel like younger generations still didn't really pay attention to her. In these past few years that's shifted, and if they targetted this group I think it could really work. Taylor Swift has dominated these past few years (in unprecedent ways) but I think it's interesting that this demographic is the one left that doesn't really care for her (because her aesthetics are so radically opposed to them, and deemed as basic). If I was Gaga's manager I'd really lean into this. Lucky for us, regardless of whether they end up doing that, J:FAD will 100% target these sort of demographics. While ASIB didn't really target people who were likely to stream Gaga's albums and respect her as a pop artist, this film might. 

Spoiler

I think a rock-y era could also work for similar reasons (and because it would bridge the gap between two different demo's she appeals too), but judging by the collaborators it doesn't seem likely. 

• paws up 1
  • lol 1

A Popster Is Born 17,828

"Poker Face" received 891,295 streams this Wednesday

9am5lpQ.gif

"Hold My Hand" received 244,984 streams this Wednesday — +25k vs last week

9am5lpQ.gif

"Government Hooker" received 134,425 streams this Wednesday — biggest streaming day of the year

9am5lpQ.gif

Edited by OliverDespechao
  • paws up 6
  • yaas, gaga 9
  • love 1

On 12/28/2023 at 2:10 PM, OliverDespechao said:

"Poker Face" received 891,295 streams this Wednesday

9am5lpQ.gif

"Hold My Hand" received 244,984 streams this Wednesday — +25k vs last week

9am5lpQ.gif

"Government Hooker" received 134,425 streams this Wednesday — biggest streaming day of the year

9am5lpQ.gif

omg goverment hooker

9am5lpQ.gif

• paws up 1