The Drought Era - Charts Discussion Thread

Dean Judaster

On 12/13/2023 at 4:03 PM, taylorgermanotta said:

The lies lol. Taylor’s smashes not only have insane staying power but also crazy impact. Cruel Summer is literally going to be the most streamed song by a female artist on Spotify and it will be reaching new peaks across Europe next year. The insecurity is showing. 

Y’all HATE to see it. 

It’s definitely not as big as Poker face or Bad Romance lol but yes Cruel summer is a global SMASH

Pop-a-911-ster 22,771
On 12/13/2023 at 12:33 PM, taylorgermanotta said:

The lies lol. Taylor’s smashes not only have insane staying power but also crazy impact. Cruel Summer is literally going to be the most streamed song by a female artist on Spotify and it will be reaching new peaks across Europe next year. The insecurity is showing. 

Y’all HATE to see it. 

streams don’t equal cultural impact, especially when the streams are heavily inflated by streaming farms

Gaga changed pop music with her first singles, Cruel Summer is just another basic popular song that will soon be forgotten.

• thanks 2

On 12/13/2023 at 6:13 PM, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

It makes me miss 2018/19 so much.:giveup:
the acclaim and global smashing :giveup:
the 1-2 PUNCH (in Europe, Anglosphere only got shalloe as single) of SH-ARUTW-INLA :giveup:

I know France is ready to stan no matter what :shakes:

Oh she’s def gonna have this again this year with an album + the movie premieres all over the world :bradley:  Prob no shallow hit moment but at least she’ll have the spotlight again 

Okay but we're kinda sounding a little bit like beyhive when downplaying Taylor's streams and talking about cultural impact. Not to say I disagree, because BR, PF and JD did seep into the zeitgeist but I don't know. I really also feel like Taylor's numbers are objective fact and should not be dismissed. I do know Anti-hero was big on tiktok and people quoted the song a lot so it's not like it has absolutely nothing in the GP consciousness.

• paws up 2

A Popster Is Born 12,823
On 12/13/2023 at 11:41 AM, Dean Judaster said:

Okay but we're kinda sounding a little bit like beyhive when downplaying Taylor's streams and talking about cultural impact. Not to say I disagree, because BR, PF and JD did seep into the zeitgeist but I don't know. I really also feel like Taylor's numbers are objective fact and should not be dismissed. I do know Anti-hero was big on tiktok and people quoted the song a lot so it's not like it has absolutely nothing in the GP consciousness.

Midnights is pure unapologetic pop smashing hard and it’s kinda basic. Sure Taylor’s music itself night not be that impactful but it’s not easy as a female as we know to produce those results. 

• paws up 1

Popster This Way 902

Fearless and 1989 are Taylor's cultural reset, not midnights or cruel summer.

The power she has now is just an outcome of hardworking from she and her teams over the years, Taylor really gave her fans all they want.

A Popster Is Born 11,843

Some of you are looking like Madonna fans. Its OK to accept that Gaga didnt have THE BIGGEST PEAK EVER for a pop star. Taylor is, as much as I hate to say it, crushing it right now. She is sadly bigger than what Gaga was during her peak. And there is nothing wrong with that. Its funny to compare Google trends but then ignore album sales :rip: Yall are charsters, lets not act delusional please :disappointed:

• paws up 1
  • thanks 5
  • lol 1

ARTPOPster 1,863
On 12/13/2023 at 7:45 AM, Doncho said:

Some of you are looking like Madonna fans

We're still young :billie:

Spoiler

I love Madonna's work this was a joke

Edited by IJustWorkHere
  • lol 1

Popster This Way 902
On 12/13/2023 at 8:45 PM, Doncho said:

Some of you are looking like Madonna fans. Its OK to accept that Gaga didnt have THE BIGGEST PEAK EVER for a pop star. Taylor is, as much as I hate to say it, crushing it right now. She is sadly bigger than what Gaga was during her peak. And there is nothing wrong with that. Its funny to compare Google trends but then ignore album sales :rip: Yall are charsters, lets not act delusional please :disappointed:

TBH it’s pointless to compare the fame of different artists when they peak at different times. 

If we are talking about comercial success then it’s true that Taylor is more profitable than any of her peers, but in streaming era she definitely holds less social impact than Gaga or Britney in digital era, and none of these artists above can surpass MJ or Madonna in 80s, when people only had limited access to entertainment they definitely possessed more power to general public.
I’m not downplaying Taylor’s success I’m just pointing out that it’s totally unreasonable to compare Gaga and Taylor 

• paws up 7
  • thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 2:55 PM, Gabi said:

TBH it’s pointless to compare the fame of different artists when they peak at different times. 

If we are talking about comercial success then it’s true that Taylor is more profitable than any of her peers, but in streaming era she definitely holds less social impact than Gaga or Britney in digital era, and none of these artists above can surpass MJ or Madonna in 80s, when people only had limited access to entertainment they definitely possessed more power to general public.
I’m not downplaying Taylor’s success I’m just pointing out that it’s totally unreasonable to compare Gaga and Taylor 

Taylor was also massive during Gaga's peak. I think that's the big difference here

Fearless has literally moved 25M SPS WW 

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 4,015
On 12/13/2023 at 8:25 PM, Gabi said:

Taylor definitely is bigger than madonna peak 

But i agree its easiler to impact the demography and zeitgeist with the help of social media bc a concert happening in newyork can be Livestreamed all around the world and it helps in building the hysteria a lot easiler then pre social media era 

madonna, mj, Beatles etc impacted people via cable network which again is different worldwide and 3rd 4th world countries were not even familer with these things 

Now a bangladeshi swiftie and but merch from her website and get it delivered to him 

Popster to Popster 4,015
On 12/13/2023 at 8:38 PM, taylorgermanotta said:

Taylor was also massive during Gaga's peak. I think that's the big difference here

Fearless has literally moved 25M SPS WW 

Taylor was not global pre;1989; id say her true globalisation happened with midnights

But that midnights peak ended Everybody

She was like morgan wallen till red era 

Smashing in US but no noise outside there 

But her country albums recordings are more global thanks to all the fans she gained worldwide post 2020 

Fearless was diamond in US but it ww total was 16M in 2020 now its 20M+ with re recording added

Edited by Ayobabylon

Popster This Way 902
On 12/13/2023 at 11:34 PM, Ayobabylon said:

Taylor definitely is bigger than madonna peak 

But i agree its easiler to impact the demography and zeitgeist with the help of social media bc a concert happening in newyork can be Livestreamed all around the world and it helps in building the hysteria a lot easiler then pre social media era 

madonna, mj, Beatles etc impacted people via cable network which again is different worldwide and 3rd 4th world countries were not even familer with these things 

Now a bangladeshi swiftie and but merch from her website and get it delivered to him 

She definitely didn’t outpeak Madonna, let’s be honest about it. Madonna’s fanbase might be insufferable but She certainly is the most successful pop female singer in the history.

Madonna broke the boundaries, changed her music style time after time and still manage to stay in the spotlight for over 30 years, if Taylor ever dare to release something like Erotica or American life her career will collapse immediately.

Another thing is that TV had wayyyy more power than social media in terms of pop music, that’s why MTV was a thing back then because that’s the only way you can listen to music for free and everyone was listening to the same songs. 

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

Moderator 17,126

What I find most interesting is that many German outlets and newspapers have asked themselves the question of how someone like Taylor is seemingly dominating despite nobody knowing her in Germany :icant:

Nobody asked that question with Gaga in 2009-2011, so I'd argue that no matter the current numbers for Taylor, she hasn't surpassed Gagas peak.

• paws up 1

On 12/13/2023 at 4:52 PM, corvus albus said:

What I find most interesting is that many German outlets and newspapers have asked themselves the question of how someone like Taylor is seemingly dominating despite nobody knowing her in Germany :icant:

Nobody asked that question with Gaga in 2009-2011, so I'd argue that no matter the current numbers for Taylor, she hasn't surpassed Gagas peak.

Since when is Popa911 a German newspaper? :icant: