The Drought Era - Charts Discussion Thread

Dean Judaster

On 11/11/2023 at 11:35 AM, Miaou said:

DSN - 3.5M global —> 2.4B today

SL - 5.7M global —> 400M today

as I said longevity is the key factor for success

spacer.png

I mean Gaga has also Shallow as longevity example, the main along with ARUTW. Let’s just say the most important day for a songs success is not the debut day. 

Examples: 
Lift Me Up smash first day flop in the long run 

while Dance The Night flop debut but coming for 1 Billion streams

:arguega:

Edited by Gaga Banana
  • thanks 1

Popster for Sale 41,886

Please. As if Dua’s “longevity” isn’t because of playlisting. Once her label pulls their backing, she’s gonna be left with nothing. Her name is not pulling numbers on its own. Similar to Katy once her label pulled their backing on YouTube.

• thanks 2

On 11/11/2023 at 3:36 PM, FRANZGA said:

Dua Lipa really is the new Rihanna or Katy Perry i dont know... longevity is her game and 

Hide contents

Payola of course

I think the same. Haters are too quick to call her new katy perry while fans are too quick to call her new Rihanna. She is clearly one of them but its too soon to determine that. 

Popster for Sale 41,886

Coming from an era with multiple smashes and riding on the hype from a soundtrack “smash” with a cameo in the biggest movie of the year, she should have done huge debut numbers. Nobody should have come even remotely close to blocking her from the #1 spot in major markets. No if’s no buts. Her lead single should have opened huge like Roar, being unstoppable.

She simply can’t command the interest of the GP to turn up and check out her music. Executives in her label will be watching this closely. It’s getting to the point of diminishing returns.

• thanks 1

Popster to Popster 4,021
On 11/11/2023 at 4:20 PM, BenG said:

Please. As if Dua’s “longevity” isn’t because of playlisting. Once her label pulls their backing, she’s gonna be left with nothing. Her name is not pulling numbers on its own. Similar to Katy once her label pulled their backing on YouTube.

She has playlisting bc she deserves it

Mind u that playlistings only help a smash song to grow

Stupid Love had playlisting too but it could not save it

I agree on the half that she is unable to build the hype of a massive popstar she is a slow burner radio darling like Katy was

DL3 won't debut more than 120k units that too after an era like FN

Popster to Popster 4,634
On 11/11/2023 at 11:36 AM, FRANZGA said:

Dua Lipa really is the new Rihanna or Katy Perry i dont know... longevity is her game and 

Reveal hidden contents

Payola of course

Maybe more Katy, although Katy felt more massive and popular overall at her peak, sure Katy success was payola driven as well but the result was bigger and she was a bigger name in the music industry as well.

Rihanna with her recurrent streams despite being in hiatus for longtime is proving that there was a sort of organic success as well, plus she was basically the only black singer doing pop basically.

I'm not really sure if Dua will have the same longevity once the payola machine is gonna be over and she won't be the young pretty girl of the moment.

Popster for Sale 41,886
On 11/11/2023 at 11:15 AM, Ayobabylon said:

She has playlisting bc she deserves it

A bit of chicken and egg, innit?

Edited by BenG

Popster to Popster 4,021
On 11/11/2023 at 4:45 PM, Leptine said:

Rihanna with her recurrent streams despite being in hiatus for longtime is proving that there was a sort of organic success as well, plus she was basically the only black singer doing pop basically.

Rihanna unlike Katy was smart despite being an industry plant

She was looking for a record that could be worth the hiatus thats why she was doing droplets between 2013-2016 

And she achieved that with ANTI which single Handedly transformed her from a radio bimbo to an acclaimed album maker

Thats why there is hype for R-9

85M Spotify debut and 300k+ debut is hers in worst case scenerio even if r-9 comes in 2030