The Drought Era - Charts Discussion Thread

Dean Judaster

On 8/14/2023 at 5:39 AM, Fame Romance said:

And the we woke up :delulu_bird:

Without bundles this time she won't do more than 150-200k

Chromatica did 69k streaming units with trendy collabs and from ASIB hype, we can expect something between 50k-100k streaming and the rest will depend on pure

Billboard went back to counting bundles again, allowing two types of bundles per album. Not to mention that Chromatica came out in the worst period in history to release an album if you're big in pure sales: physical stores closed + Gaga's store closed because of the BLM protests, so it's obvious that Chromatica would have sold way more pure sales in its debut week under normal environmental and social conditions. It sure would have opened with over 300k.

Gaga also got stronger on streaming. Even without a new album in 3 years and without dropping a single in over a year, 2023 is already her biggest year on streaming, surpassing 2020 when she released Chromatica and its singles. Not to mention she got her first solo top 10 on pop radio in a decade, she's a much more popular name among Gen Z these days because of Bloody Mary. So even if her pure sales drop, her rising streams will make up for that drop. Whether she hits 300k or not will just depend on the schedule and budget for the album promotion.

Popster for Sale 57,316
On 8/14/2023 at 8:52 PM, China said:

Billboard went back to counting bundles again, allowing two types of bundles per album. Not to mention that Chromatica came out in the worst period in history to release an album if you're big in pure sales: physical stores closed + Gaga's store closed because of the BLM protests, so it's obvious that Chromatica would have sold way more pure sales in its debut week under normal environmental and social conditions. It sure would have opened with over 300k.

Gaga also got stronger on streaming. Even without a new album in 3 years and without dropping a single in over a year, 2023 is already her biggest year on streaming, surpassing 2020 when she released Chromatica and its singles. Not to mention she got her first solo top 10 on pop radio in a decade, she's a much more popular name among Gen Z these days because of Bloody Mary. So even if her pure sales drop, her rising streams will make up for that drop. Whether she hits 300k or not will just depend on the schedule and budget for the album promotion.

Her online store was only closed for a day on opening week for BLM tho 

And Folklore was able to open with 600k pure around the same time with no physical stores release, when the demand is there the ones that are interested will always buy

I'm just saying we should keep our expectatives low and if we are able to get a decent opening AND not drop like a rock then good

Edited by Fame Romance
  • love 2

Pop-a-911-ster 31,859
On 8/14/2023 at 6:29 PM, Fame Romance said:

Will it even get a SOLO 650M song like NRO which is double of her most recent solo pop attempts The Cure and SL?

spacer.png

SL and PI are truly tanks omg ☠️ not NRO at 650M while SL or PO struggling to hit 400M ☠️

Not surprised tho since SL/PI are a huge NO to my ears (I don’t know how a team who manages a COMMERCIAL artist can allow songs like SL/PI to be a LEAD single)

Moderator 17,129
On 8/14/2023 at 8:59 PM, Fame Romance said:

And Folklore was able to open with 600k pure around the same time with no physical stores release, when the demand is there the ones that are interested will always buy

A lot of the restrictions were lifted in the summer, where folklore released, while Chromatica was right in the middle of a national upheaval. Proportionally, there's a reason the album had some of Gagas best and highest debuts in the rest of the world, but not in the US.

• paws up 3
  • thanks 4

On 8/14/2023 at 3:59 PM, Fame Romance said:

Her online store was only closed for a day on opening week for BLM tho 

I'm just saying we should keep our expectatives low and if we are able to get a decent opening AND not drop like a rock then good

Don't lie. She closed her store on June 2, 2020 (Tuesday) and only reopened on June 6, 2020 (Saturday), so she lost 3 days of sales in the debut week and a day and a half of sales in the second week, which definitely affected Chromatica's debut week sales, as Billboard itself said at the time:

"Gaga deactivated her webstore on Tuesday morning, and in its place, left a message with her thoughts about the death of George Floyd and how “right now is a critical time for the black community to be supported by all other communities so we can put a stop to something that is intrinsically wrong by the grace of God or whatever creator you do or do not believe in.” As of 11 a.m. PT on Wednesday, the store had not returned. In addition, Gaga ceased social media promotion of the album through her official accounts after June 1."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9396483/lady-gaga-chromatica-no-1-debut-billboard-200-chart

Not to mention that she completely canceled all promotion for the album in its debut week and the following weeks (live performances, TV and radio interviews, appearances, online promotion, promotion through her social media etc) + physical stores closed + BLM protests + BlackoutTuesday that took over all playlists + COVID. Literally a nightmare.

As I said, it's clear that Chromatica would have hit over 300k in its debut week easily under normal sanitary and social conditions. You're definitely not going to lie and say that all of this didn't drastically affect the album's debut and its chart performance with me around.

• paws up 2
  • thanks 1

On 8/14/2023 at 4:14 PM, Miaou said:

SL and PI are truly tanks omg ☠️ not NRO at 650M while SL or PO struggling to hit 400M ☠️

Not surprised tho since SL/PI are a huge NO to my ears (I don’t know how a team who manages a COMMERCIAL artist can allow songs like SL/PI to be a LEAD single)

PI is Gaga's worst single and SL came out 9 months after NRO. NRO got more radio support, more time on TTH, in addition to having benefited at the time from Katy's cameo in Taylor's YNTCD video, giving a rise on the song's streams. Also, Katy performed NRO several times, Gaga performed Stupid Love only once.

Pop-a-911-ster 27,178
On 8/14/2023 at 5:32 PM, China said:

PI is Gaga's worst single and SL came out 9 months after NRO. NRO got more radio support, more time on TTH, in addition to having benefited at the time from Katy's cameo in Taylor's YNTCD video, giving a rise on the song's streams. Also, Katy performed NRO several times, Gaga performed Stupid Love only once.

and when the song was already dead in streaming

• thanks 1

A Popster Is Born 12,829
On 8/14/2023 at 7:59 PM, Fame Romance said:

I do wonder what she’ll do for promotion next time if TTH and two collabs on it and a VMA’s dedicated to her wasn’t enough to make stability, because literally artists are doing NOTHING for their albums and if they tank they move on :katy:

• sad 1

So I'm stealing this from Kimi on ATRL because its very interesting. Thank you by the way if you're reading this.

"So we often talk about Gars Spotify streams but lets see how her albums compare to all the other albums released same year.

2008 - The Fame #2 total streams #1 daily streams

2009 - The Fame Monster EP #3 total streams #5 daily

*The Fame Monster Deluxe #1 & #1 for both 2008 and 2009 :heart:*

2011 - Born This Way #12 total streams #5 daily streams

2013 - ARTPOP #44 total streams #49 daily streams

2016 - Joanne #38 total streams #61 daily streams

2018- A Star Is Born #9 total streams #11 daily streams

2020 - Chromatica #34 total streams #61 daily streams

Any surprises?"

Not so bad for our girl Chromatica. Not great either.

Edited by Thatkat4
  • sad 1