Charts Discussion Thread,

little legend

Pop-a-911-ster 31,897
On 4/10/2023 at 6:41 PM, lookwhatyoumademedo said:

Those hits are not as massive as Dua's hits. 

Sis Dua’s hits are obviously massive as numbers show but saying they are bigger than Rihanna’s hits is completely delusional :rip:

On 4/10/2023 at 8:46 PM, Miaou said:

Sis Dua’s hits are obviously massive as numbers show but saying they are bigger than Rihanna’s hits is completely delusional :rip:

Define "bigger." Year-end charts say otherwise. IFPI entries say otherwise (they both have three entries as lead artists despite Rihanna's career spanning 18 years). I keep hearing how "big" Rihanna is, but there's no numbers to back this up. Obviously, she has countless singles and collaborations (Nicki teas), and this helps to inflate her overall digital sales, but this doesn't make her hits bigger. 

Dua's IFPI entries as a lead artist: 

2022: Cold Heart (#4) 
2021: Levitating (#3) 
2020: DSN (#5) 

Rihanna's entries: 

2016: Work (#6) 
2013: Stay (#10) 
2007: Umbrella (#3) 

A Popster Is Born 16,337

this whole "lead credit" narrative is so fradulent and stans blindly using it makes no sense. if cold heart is dua's song then LTWYL is rihanna's or vice versa, just because labels are more fradulent nowadays to appropiate spotify schemes doesn't make one credit more important than the other

in my opinion song is whoever is credited first and whoever's project it was for, aka who paid for all of it

Edited by Replay

Pop-a-911-ster 30,391
On 4/10/2023 at 8:18 PM, Replay said:

this whole "lead credit" narrative is so fradulent and stans blindly using it makes no sense. if cold heart is dua's song then LTWYL is rihanna's or vice versa, just because labels are more fradulent nowadays to appropiate spotify schemes doesn't make one credit more important than the other

in my opinion song is whoever is credited first and whoever's project it was for, aka who paid for all of it

Exactly, Co-lead only make sense when it's a joint album, a standalone song or when the song appears in both albums

• paws up 1

When it comes to pop girl smashes, I would divide them into three categories: 

Monster smashes (#1 on the IFPI chart of the respective year, multiple year-end #1s, etc.): Poker Face, Tik Tok, Call Me Maybe, Bad Guy, Flowers (?). 
Big smashes (1-5 on the IFPI chart, a lot of top 10 entries on year-end charts): Levitating, DSN, Umbrella. 
Ordinary smashes: (5-10 on the IFPI chart, very few or no top 10 entries, but still a lot of YE chart entries in total): all Rihanna hits save for Umbrella. 

Rihanna doesn't have a single monster smash (unless you count LTWYL, in which she's merely a feature).        

Edited by lookwhatyoumademedo

Popster for Sale 41,933

YEC is an absolutely useless metric. Bring on certifications for lifetime performance.

Rih was a Q4 release artist for the vast majority of her career.

Popster for Sale 41,933

And even using certifications, it needs to be adjusted for digital vs. streaming era. There’s a reason Billboard applies a penalty for streaming era on their all-time charts.

• yaas, gaga 1

A Popster Is Born 16,337
On 4/10/2023 at 8:28 PM, Andreu said:

Exactly, Co-lead only make sense when it's a joint album, a standalone song or when the song appears in both albums

Agree expect for the last part. Very often they even do fraudery for that if song is smash. Like One Kiss and Promises are still clearly Calvin songs despite it not being on any of his albums but they were on Dua's and Sam's. Prisoner is still Miley song despite Dua stealing it for FN, FEFE is still 6ix9ine song despite Nicki tucking it onto Queen to try to beat Travis and so on. Kim Petras will probably try to put Unholy on her album but it will still be Sam song 

Edited by Replay

On 4/10/2023 at 9:28 PM, BenG said:

YEC is an absolutely useless metric. Bring on certifications for lifetime performance.

Rih was a Q4 release artist for the vast majority of her career.

None of her major hits were released in Q4. 

WFL: Q3
Disturbia: Q2
Work: Q1 
Diamonds: Q3
Only Girl: Q3

Popster for Sale 41,933
On 4/10/2023 at 7:35 PM, lookwhatyoumademedo said:

None of her major hits were released in Q4. 

WFL: Q3
Disturbia: Q2
Work: Q1 
Diamonds: Q3
Only Girl: Q3

I was referring to albums.

Pop-a-911-ster 30,391
On 4/10/2023 at 8:32 PM, Replay said:

Agree expect for the last part. Very often they even do fraudery for that if song is smash. Like One Kiss and Promises are still clearly Calvin songs despite it not being on any of his albums but they were on Dua's and Sam's. Prisoner is still Miley song despite Dua stealing it for FN, FEFE is still 6ix9ine song despite Nicki tucking it onto Queen to try to beat Travis and so on. Kim Petras will probably try to put Unholy on her album but it will still be Sam song 

yes, you're right. I was thinking about Bang Bang, but in most cases even if the song is in both album it's clear that one artist is more the protagonist than the others.

Popster for Sale 41,933
On 4/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, Andreu said:

yes, you're right. I was thinking about Bang Bang, but in most cases even if the song is in both album it's clear that one artist is more the protagonist than the others.

And the other is the anti-hero?

Pop-a-911-ster 30,391
On 4/10/2023 at 8:40 PM, BenG said:

And the other is the anti-hero?

yes because the other artists who do it are annoying 

BenG

Spoiler

like that song

BenG

Spoiler

jk

BenG

Spoiler

or not

Spoiler

you chooseBenG

Edited by Andreu
  • lol 1

Gaga gets f-ed by YEC all the time. If Joanne and ASIB had a full BB tracking year (ie released in mid November) they would have higher YEC positions. I know ASIB's 2019 one was good but it probably would have been #1.