Charts Discussion Thread,

little legend

A Popster Is Born 13,392
On 3/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, corvus albus said:

Considering the song is more focused on people joining her parade and her sitting on her throne, I'd say she handled the situation far worse than most celebrities.

Don’t even bother. Beyoncé gets a free pass for literally everything. The way her brand exploited Asian women and still flopped hard, yet I never saw anyone dragging her.

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

A Popster Is Born 10,029
On 3/20/2023 at 1:35 PM, 0606060 said:

The way all these photos look exactly like every other tour she's done. You could tell me they are from 1989 tour and I'd believe it

Cause literally she’s taking everything from her past tours/performances

and that’s the case for most artists

Gaga was criticized multiple times for also serving the same song arrangements on her tours

ARTPOPster 1,685
On 3/20/2023 at 10:49 AM, corvus albus said:

Gaga debuted with over 200K with Joanne, which wasn't even that liked by her fans and predicted to do way worse initially. So why exactly would she never debut above 200K again?

because that was 7 years ago? stay delulu all you want though babes

A Popster Is Born 12,807
On 3/20/2023 at 12:29 PM, Adarsh said:

Don’t even bother. Beyoncé gets a free pass for literally everything. The way her brand exploited Asian women and still flopped hard, yet I never saw anyone dragging her.

Brand beyonce is a masterclass in media and marketing. i remember the scalpers articles to explain some of the less than full Formation stadiums. Avoiding traditional pop release for 10 years too until the timing was better. I guess thats what all the MPGs aspire to have to keep them protected

ARTPOPster 1,685
On 3/20/2023 at 3:35 PM, 0606060 said:

The way all these photos look exactly like every other tour she's done. You could tell me they are from 1989 tour and I'd believe it

Wouldn't that mean she didn't age in a decade?

tumblr_inline_nyecm3GFhl1ssflgq_500.gifv

Popster to Popster 4,593
On 3/20/2023 at 12:58 PM, Andraslop said:

Gaga's Team literally had to scrap their new Covid-friendly album roll-out plan (for example, the video series with Ariadna or Chromatica TV).

Gaga went on silence for 2 months and gave up her social networks to BLM activist. 

The release week is one of the most important weeks for an album, as its when it receives social and media attention, and it's when its supposed to solidify regular listeners from the GP who will carry the album onwards. Instead of that, everyone put their focus on BLM and Chromatica was payed dust. With everything that was going on, I highly doubt that the GP was even aware about Gaga releasing a whole new album.

Spotify literally had two days of the release week with only black music on its playlists. 

Chromatica was released literally on the worst possible week, and when everything went back to normality, Chromatica was already deeply hurt and it hadn't any promo in order to let the GP rediscover the album. And my personal guess is also that Gaga was heavily frustrated because firstly her plans were ruined by COVID, and then they were newly ruined by BLM. Maybe that's why she decided to give up and paid the era dust.

If Chromatica weren't released on that week, we would have had: Chromatica TV, more videos with Aria and probably an Insta-Tik Tok campaign, listening parties, interactions, full social and media attention, no blackouts on Spotify, more streaming stability, and a more motivated Gaga to carry on the era.

So yeah, BLM really f**ed up the era in many ways, along with COVID.

100% accurate.

I couldn't have imagined a more worse scenario to release an album, especially a dance album, not to mention with all the clubs, bars, discos and even the gyms still closed during all that Summer in majority of countries.

The Summer tour the same year indeed would have helped as well in the longevity.

Too many factors that release had against it since the beginning with SL leaking.

I guess they didn't have other choice than release with the risk of the album leaking in full, but the reality is, it was the worst period ever to release an album of that genre.

• paws up 2
  • sad 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:55 AM, Ayobabylon said:

White gaga stsns act like BLM effected chromatica’s 1M debut sales. Like do the math. All she did was make her social media black, cancelled posting videos of her dancing to chromatica & gave her SM FOR BLM activism. Thats the bare minimum we should expect from an A list celebrity.

So you are saying that GODGA should have followed Beyonce’s footsteps instead, release a song like Black Parade with an extra 6 remixes, payolad on top of TTH of Spotify and Apple Music to exploit the BLM movement and George Floyd’s death and still fail miserably to crack 1.5M streams on her debut day?

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• paws up 1
  • shook 1
  • lol 1

A Popster Is Born 18,407

At this point thinking BLM and covid didn’t ruin Chromatica’s first week and following two or even three weeks is just wrong. Sure, the album was always going to be frontloaded given how the era was planned to last basically 5 months but the first month was bombarded with the world collapsing and they didn’t do the majority  of the things that were planned and we all know Gaga oś very promo sensitive. Oh well.

• paws up 4
  • thanks 2

On 3/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, BloodyMary said:

Gaga was totally silenced by twitter trolls. Poor ha couldnt even celebrated her song going #1 on monday. 

She wasn't 'silenced' :rip:There was maybe a week in June where the backlash in regards to posting anything unrelated to BLM would have been bad, but otherwise most other people continued to work and promote. You could still do activism and continue being a musician. Gaga is just very dramatic and has a lot of these moments where she decides it's better to disappear for lack of a better word.

• paws up 1
  • sad 1

A Popster Is Born 10,029

Yes the initial run of promo for Chroma was gonna be huge: Coachella, Chromatica TV, probably award shows to perform her singles, probably big magazine covers and heavy support. Don’t’ get me wrong I could see her team actually pushing a Beyonce radio moment and sending the chèques despite the bad callouts

Would it mean the album would still be charting today? Probably not but it would have scanned 15-20 more weeks I think in the US

in’the end the blessing was the tour being pushed for summer 2022; better visuals and more dates 

• paws up 1
  • sad 1

Popster for Sale 44,631
On 3/20/2023 at 1:07 PM, 0606060 said:

She wasn't 'silenced' :rip:There was maybe a week in June where the backlash in regards to posting anything unrelated to BLM would have been bad, but otherwise most other people continued to work and promote. You could still do activism and continue being a musician. Gaga is just very dramatic and has a lot of these moments where she decides it's better to disappear for lack of a better word.

Yeah a lot of it, while good intentioned, was unnecessary and a bit disrespectful towards her fanbase imo

• paws up 2
  • sad 1
  • thanks 2

On 3/20/2023 at 9:16 AM, BloodyOreo said:

Yeah a lot of it, while good intentioned, was unnecessary and a bit disrespectful towards her fanbase imo

Exactly. I mean, I went to multiple protests and still showed up to work the next day so... but we know by now that miss thing is sensitive, so I understand it to a certain extent. Didn't make it any less annoying at the time though :dragon:

• paws up 1

Moderator 17,110
On 3/20/2023 at 1:45 PM, yomama said:

because that was 7 years ago? stay delulu all you want though babes

It was an example of her defying expectations despite a lukewarm initial reception and a bomb as lead single. I'd say that this fanbase can still give Gaga a 200K debut, especially considering that for big pop stars physical sales haven't dropped like for the rest of the industry. Those physical sales alone gave Gaga a 200K debut with Chromatica, so I'm sure it can happen again.

• paws up 1