Charts Discussion Thread,

little legend

A Popster Is Born 12,808
On 1/25/2023 at 11:34 AM, danwasd said:

expect for the editorial push, the other factors had a very small if not negligible impact on the song's chart run:

– comeback hype is related with high peaks on debut, not long-term commercial performance

– dead actor tribute? a credit song? yeah, virtually no impact whatsoever

It's another way to sell a song, it's PR. 'Listen to Rihanna's song she is tributing chadwick boseman' its a word of mouth tactic that makes something more interesting, if not more so a way to get over with the academy. It was another string to a bow for the rollout of LMU, if you will.

We have seen this a few times recently.

LMU was not just a credit song unlike HMH. It was played at the main pivotal part of the movie that is still being aired and will go onto Disney+. That is part of the promotional platform for a song.

255271988_GagaPretty.thumb.JPG.16148c5313af5d89e6d7ab922a1b26f6.JPG

Edited by ItsGenuineGuy09

Popster for Sale 44,658
On 1/25/2023 at 11:45 AM, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

It's another way to sell a song, it's PR. 'Listen to Rihanna's song she is tributing chadwick boseman' its a word of mouth tactic that makes something more interesting, if not more so a way to get over with the academy. It was another string to a bow for the rollout of LMU, if you will.

We have seen this a few times recently.

LMU was not just a credit song unlike HMH. It was played at the main pivotal part of the movie that is still being aired and will go onto Disney+. That is part of the promotional platform for a song.

and still it will probably never reach HMH streams on youtube

A Popster Is Born 14,780
On 1/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

It's another way to sell a song, it's PR. 'Listen to Rihanna's song she is tributing chadwick boseman' its a word of mouth tactic that makes something more interesting, if not more so a way to get over with the academy. It's a string to a bow if you will. We have seen this a few times recently.

imagen_2020-11-03_231148.png.a56b41a0c12

this whole response has nothing to do with your previous comment. all the things you posted didn't have any –or hardly any– impact on the song's commercial run. it's true that the PR tactics you mentioned could've had an impact. but they didn't. two different matters.

thus, even if they could've had an impact, as they didn't have any, LMU's chart run would've been pretty much similar to what we had. 

On 1/25/2023 at 1:01 PM, Matteo Remondi said:

Same position in the US too

Satanic I fear

Yeah, just edited hahaha. To be fair, the songs consumption is so strange... I mean as far as we know, tomorrow's update could be very big (like these past weeks) or a complete flop :enigma:. I guess that's what happens when a song doesn't rely so much on playlists? Let's hope tomorrow's update makes up for all of this :banana:.

• paws up 1

Popster for Sale 44,658
On 1/25/2023 at 11:56 AM, Ms I am a local said:

Spotify WW

#47 (-2) - 2.014.957 (-9K WoW, same position)

USA: #106 (-11) - 353K (+14K WoW, same position)

UK: #93 (-3) - 81K (-600 WoW, -1 position)

New peak in the U.S. next week :darkmode:

manifesting top 50 :pray:

• paws up 6
  • hugs 1
  • yaas, gaga 1
  • love 1

A Popster Is Born 12,808
On 1/25/2023 at 11:51 AM, danwasd said:

this whole response has nothing to do with your previous comment. all the things you posted didn't have any –or hardly any– impact on the song's commercial run. it's true that the PR tactics you mentioned could've had an impact. but they didn't. two different matters.

thus, even if they could've had an impact, as they didn't have any, LMU's chart run would've been pretty much similar to what we had. 

I do know what you mean sis, it sounds silly to say that the context of a death tribute could single handily make a song a smash (its like some OGHsthink shallow was only big cause of gossip magazines :laughga:)

But I was just listing what i could remember for what this song had as part of it's package. Had the the song been good lyrics I do think it could've hit way more with that angle, alas that mattered little in the end

With that being said, i just remembered it's also getting a superbowl performance as well coming up!

The Fame Popster 333

Why would anyone expect BM to rise/drop substantially overnight now? Aside from random +/- on US Spotify, it's been in the same 1.9-2.1M range for like 2 weeks now, no? That's incredible for any Gaga song, let alone one from 2011 that went viral ~3mo ago, lacks any official sped-up remix. visual streaming option, only just recently impacted US Radio, and max'd out its playlist reach based on where curators are willing to place old viral hits. 

This is pretty much the dream for an OG. A 6th BTW single played on z100 5x/day, while it climbs BB100, pulls 2M streams, exposes a new generation to her catalogue, and boosts BTW (A) to 4 (+) more weeks on BB200 is amazing. 

The only thing missing is a visual on YT.* Gaga was at her peak lyrical/visual artistry on BTW, IMO, but couldn't have predicted the impact of digestable, < 4 min MVs from 2013+, which hurts BTW/Y&I/MTN. The output of a BTW era MV made with 911 sensibilities would be great. But, it'd be delusional to expect given The Cure is a recent example of a single that could've been pushed harder with an MV but never received 1 due to timing conflicts.

*Since, 1) anyone who blames the lack of Playlisting on her team/label is delusional, 2) an EP with old + new commissioned remixes would slay, but there are like 10 Chromatica remixes that weren't ever released as part of single EPs (SL, ROM, 911) or as part of any version of the album (SL, ROM, 911, FW).

Edited by JustJames
  • paws up 6
  • hugs 1
  • thanks 1

A Popster Is Born 13,395
On 1/25/2023 at 6:07 PM, MANiCURE1295 said:

Neither has Rihanna, which I think is super odd given it’s her first ever nomination 

And she was the first to tweet about the Golden Globes :ohhh:

A Popster Is Born 11,830
On 1/25/2023 at 9:07 AM, Ayobabylon said:

If u think Beyoncé, taylor and adele won't attend or perform at grammys then idk what to tell you for being this st*pid

Well they said unlikely to perform... its not confirmed yet. But yeah Im pretty sure they will in the end. Specially Beyonce and Taylor, since they really care about the Grammys.

On 1/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, JustJames said:

Why would anyone expect BM to rise/drop substantially overnight now? Aside from random +/- on US Spotify, it's been in the same 1.9-2.1M range for like 2 weeks now,

we are so used to her singles freefall after first week BM’s longevity keep surprising people with a fear of freefall :santa:

• paws up 2
  • lol 1
  • love 1