Charts Thread - Stream Bloody Mary and Applause (Make Em Touch Remix) 👏🙌

Stats4LG

A Popster Is Born 13,404
On 1/24/2023 at 12:12 PM, derpmonster said:

Looks like making obviously false "pick me" rankings to boost social media engagement is the thing now 👀

Hide contents

Music Video Animation GIF by Yay, Pumpkin

This gif reminds me of Kathakali dancers 

• lol 1

ARTPOPster 1,620

There are so many issues with this list, I don't even know where to start. Not them leaving Miley out when they're including Taylor, Rihanna, Billie, and Olivia. :mess: edit: and Lana? :rip:

Spoiler

Also, not to be an OBH, but Beyoncé didn't debut this century so she technically shouldn't have been included :billiecat:

Edited by derpmonster

Moderator 17,129
On 1/24/2023 at 4:51 AM, derpmonster said:

Another largely sampled song by Ava Max is coming I fear

Again 2/14 songs on the new album have a sample. This accusation makes no sense whatsoever.

Popster for Sale 57,289
On 1/24/2023 at 8:36 AM, little legend said:

Another humbling experience for us :leap:

On 1/24/2023 at 8:36 AM, little legend said:

Another humbling experience for us :leap:

Double humbling experience :leap:

Tho ideal situation would be HMH nom no win, so that the Oscars don’t’ ‘ban her for life’ and she still does a performance that gives cute little boost to Hand :disappointed:

• paws up 1
  • lol 2

ARTPOPster 1,620
On 1/23/2023 at 11:30 PM, corvus albus said:

Again 2/14 songs on the new album have a sample. This accusation makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm not trying to hate on Ava. But it is true that she has a significantly higher percentage of sampled songs compared to most other mainstream artists. :katy: I recently discovered "Not Your Barbie Girl" and it was something. :rip: It also doesn't help when some of her biggest recent hits are samples (Kings and Queens + My Head And My Heart). But they're bops. 

Spoiler

Torn remains king of her discography. It's original and a bop. :jam:

Moderator 17,129
On 1/24/2023 at 8:42 AM, derpmonster said:

I'm not trying to hate on Ava. But it is true that she has a significantly higher percentage of sampled songs compared to most other mainstream artists. :katy:

Which other mainstream artists? Miley, whose new song samples two songs at once? Beyoncé, whose latest album has 30+ samples? Katy Perry, whose last hit NRO was also a sample? Bebe Rexha? Drake?

Spoiler

What Katy sampled

Popster to Popster 4,021

Hmh will definitely be nominated y'all 

And if its not then we will be having serious problems bc last year shutdown was so shocking and i remember irl cinephiles saying that acadmy disliked her campaign so she needs to stop either they will bycott her

• paws up 2

ARTPOPster 1,620
On 1/23/2023 at 11:54 PM, corvus albus said:

Which other mainstream artists? Miley, whose new song samples two songs at once? Beyoncé, whose latest album has 30+ samples? Katy Perry, whose last hit NRO was also a sample? Bebe Rexha? Drake?

Hide contents

What Katy sampled

Thanks - I didn't even know NRO was a sample. You learn something new every day. ::-): I think Miley, Katy, and Bebe Rexha are fair examples but I'm hesitant to include Beyoncé and Drake because urban contemporary music has always been a lot more sample-based, so it's not an apples to apples comparison. Samples stand out way more in pop music and sparingly they're good - for example Dua, Madonna, and Gaga have all sampled instrumentals.

With Ava, I've just got the feeling that most of her recent hits and high quality singles have been samples. But maybe I'm wrong. I'll see how I feel about the album tracks. :cm:

• thanks 1

ARTPOPster 1,620
On 1/24/2023 at 12:02 AM, Ayobabylon said:

Hmh will definitely be nominated y'all 

And if its not then we will be having serious problems bc last year shutdown was so shocking and i remember irl cinephiles saying that acadmy disliked her campaign so she needs to stop either they will bycott her

She didn't really do an over the top campaign for HMH though so we should be fine. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 17,129
On 1/24/2023 at 9:02 AM, derpmonster said:

With Ava, I've just got the feeling that most of her recent hits and high quality singles have been samples. But maybe I'm wrong. I'll see how I feel about the album tracks. :cm:

Not for a lack of trying. Sadly, the GP seems more interested in sampled music overall, eventhough Avas biggest song SBP doesn't have any samples :icant:

• paws up 1