Charts Discussion Thread - Chromatica Stompage

corvus albus

A Popster Is Born 13,482
On 6/19/2022 at 11:16 PM, corvus albus said:

Gaga should've done DWUW with any other popular RnB artist of the time. The Weeknd already had a collab with her on MTN, he would've been perfect for DWUW.

DWUW ft The Weeknd would've gone viral on Tik Tok and stabilized at 500k streams per day.

• paws up 1

Popster for Sale 44,960
On 6/19/2022 at 6:40 PM, corvus albus said:

We talked about albums though. One single is not enough for the GP to care about Joanne. Same can be said about ARTPOP. Both albums just aren't doing well on streaming.

For LG7 she really should work on making it and marketing as a full album a la Beyonce's self-titled/Lemonade or Taylor's Folklore. If she could put out a universally critically acclaimed album she could pull more people into streaming her albums, and would really cement herself as a legend. I wonder if she can commit to such a thing though. 

Chromatica was a step in the right direction, the album is very cohesive and the visuals had massive potential but ultimately it ended up relying on the singles and not being explored as a full album. I think her issue is that the GP doesn't see her as an album artist tbh, even her albums that are pulling a lot of streams are doing so mostly because of massive singles (TF+M obviously had a lot of huge singles and ASIB is carried by Shallow/ARUTW/INLA other albums are doing decent (BTW) to bad (J, AP, C) ). 

I think it was @ItsGenuineGuy09 that posted here or on atrl that she should just release an incredible project without worrying about radio or singles, and then see what sticks, rather than pandering to a format that will drop her no matter the quality or commercial viability of her songs, and I agree. 

Edited by HoldMyOreos
  • paws up 2

ARTPOPster 1,685
On 6/19/2022 at 8:46 PM, corvus albus said:

Gaga should've done DWUW with any other popular RnB artist of the time. The Weeknd already had a collab with her on MTN, he would've been perfect for DWUW.

Nope, he's too whiny (for DWUW at least), should've went with either Bruno or Frank Ocean (or Miguel, Bryson Tiller, Usher, John Legend, literally anyone but R. Kelly)

Pop-a-911-ster 26,640
On 6/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, HoldMyOreos said:

For LG7 she really should work on making it and marketing as a full album a la Beyonce's self-titled/Lemonade or Taylor's Folklore.

Spoiler

Bey put out a visual album after Gaga supposedly considering it for ARTPOP. I'll be honest, I would be bitter if Bey's Renaissance being a dance album delivers what we hoped to get from Chromatica. For some reason, Gaga's vision never gets executed properly in some manner or form. I just hope Bey's sound is more disco-leaning than house because the comparisons would be insufferable if Renaissance does so much better than Chromatica in the long run.

:cry:

A Popster Is Born 18,480
On 6/19/2022 at 7:50 PM, corvus albus said:

For a 2013 album, ARTPOP is doing well enough, especially for a forgotten one :peacega:

Yeah, this. Let’s see Joanne’s streams three years from now tbh. 

Popster for Sale 44,960

I hope her team are aware that a universally acclaimed Gaga album is the only thing that's really lacking in her career in music. I think it could build her brand massively. Taylor (F+E), Beyoncé (ST and Lemonade) and even Lana (NFR) saw massive benefits by going in this direction once their careers couldn't depend on radio singles and traditional eras anymore. 

Since they don't make much effort into promoting singles anyway it could be a win-win situation. 

• paws up 3

Moderator 17,142
On 6/19/2022 at 7:53 PM, Dean SMASHchester said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bey put out a visual album after Gaga supposedly considering it for ARTPOP. I'll be honest, I would be bitter if Bey's Renaissance being a dance album delivers what we hoped to get from Chromatica. For some reason, Gaga's vision never gets executed properly in some manner or form. I just hope Bey's sound is more disco-leaning than house because the comparisons would be insufferable if Renaissance does so much better than Chromatica in the long run.

You're right and you should say it. The only album where Gaga lead the pack and was the most successful was with Joanne, mostly because every other back-to-the-roots-album flopped pretty hard or captured an artist in a downward spiral :bigbird:

• thanks 1

A Popster Is Born 13,482
On 6/19/2022 at 11:23 PM, DonnieDarko said:

Yeah, this. Let’s see Joanne’s streams three years from now tbh. 

Joanne will stay afloat solely because of MR tbh. That's a genuine organic hit.

Popster for Sale 44,960
On 6/19/2022 at 6:53 PM, Dean SMASHchester said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah I understand the frustration. A visual album for Gaga would just make so much sense, I'm sure if she put out a visual critically aclaimed album it would do absolute wonders for her legacy, even if it won't touch BTW/TFM/ASIB commercial success. But the level of commitment to her music doesn't seem to be there right now. 

• paws up 1

Popster for Sale 44,960
On 6/19/2022 at 6:57 PM, DonnieDarko said:

Talking about critical success, Chromatica having the best score out of her discography gives me that buzz. A little win for us, Chromaticans.

Screaming Lady Gaga GIF by Apple Music

It really was a step in the right direction, and I love the album. Had it been a visual album it could be a Lemonade/ST moment for her, but the effort wasn't there, and while the music is good it's just not adventurous enough to earn that universal critical acclaim on it's own imo. 

Edited by HoldMyOreos
  • paws up 2

A Popster Is Born 18,480
On 6/19/2022 at 7:56 PM, Adarsh said:

Joanne will stay afloat solely because of MR tbh. That's a genuine organic hit.

Sure but it’s barely doing better than 2013’s ARTPOP (381k vs 311k) which was her most hated project. I can’t see Joanne doing ARTPOP’s numbers in three years.

Pop-a-911-ster 26,640
On 6/19/2022 at 2:57 PM, DonnieDarko said:

Chromatica having the best score out of her discography

It's a start, but it's not to the same league as what folklore+evermore did for Taylor or ST+Lemonade did for Bey, like what @HoldMyOreos is saying. Chromatica is amazing, I just used it for my workout an hour ago, but to have that undisputed non-polarizing magnum opus is just something so natural, so obvious, you don't have to convince most people about it.

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 31,934

the GP and the straights are stanning so hard HMH :rip: a 10/10 for him and one of her best songs according to him :rip:

the way this song has huge potential :rip:

• paws up 4
  • yaas, gaga 2

Popster for Sale 44,960
On 6/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, Dean SMASHchester said:

It's a start, but it's not to the same league as what folklore+evermore did for Taylor or ST+Lemonade did for Bey, like what @HoldMyOreos is saying. Chromatica is amazing, I just used it for my workout an hour ago, but to have that undisputed non-polarizing magnum opus is just something so natural, so obvious, you don't have to convince most people about it.

Exactly! Those were lighting in a bottle moments, and I'm sure Gaga can have her own, should she try. 

• paws up 1