Charts Discussion Thread - Hold My Hand - out now!

PanPikus

Pop-a-911-ster 39,279
On 5/4/2022 at 5:07 PM, Dean TANKEDchester said:

I still believe HMH is a hit just waiting for good promo and exposure. The GP will eat this up!

dean winchester GIF

Reveal hidden contents

They really just need to remove the sheep sounds at first. I'm used to it now but it will turn off a lot of new listeners.

Honestly I’m gonna be real, I think the overdramatics about 9 seconds of the song are so overblown, I’ve never heard from anyone “I hate those first 10 seconds but love the rest of the song but I’m never gonna listen to it again”

If people like the song they’ll listen to it regardless of the first 10 seconds. People need to stop using Bloodpop as a scapegoat of the song not doing well (not saying you’re doing that, just my observation)

It just excuses imo 

edit: my mom hates electronic music and never even mentioned the beginning, we’re being overdramatic about the beginning just like we are the “crowd” noises in shallow 

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 26,497
On 5/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, MANiCURE1295 said:

Honestly I’m gonna be real, I think the overdramatics about 9 seconds of the song are so overblown, I’ve never heard from anyone “I hate those first 10 seconds but love the rest of the song but I’m never gonna listen to it again”

If people like the song they’ll listen to it regardless of the first 10 seconds. People need to stop using Bloodpop as a scapegoat of the song not doing well (not saying you’re doing that, just my observation)

It just excuses imo 

edit: my mom hates electronic music and never even mentioned the beginning, we’re being overdramatic about the beginning just like we are the “crowd” noises in shallow 

I don't even hate Bloodpop (don't know why liddos hate him so much) but I genuinely laugh at the intro still every now and then. So does my wife. We just can't take it seriously. And I'm a stan and she's a casual fan. Look at the reaction video posted yesterday, the guy was confused with the intro as well.

Don't radios also factor in the first few seconds in their survey to see if a song is doing well? I forgot the name of the metric

• paws up 1

The Popster 145
On 5/4/2022 at 10:24 PM, MANiCURE1295 said:

It just excuses imo 

still fair to discuss how stupid it is that he shoehorned the yet more glitchy vocal samples that he's being doing since Purpose-era 2015 in what is supposed to be an emotional 80's stadium power ballad. its not a deal breaker but it does not work at all and points to his lack of range and talent as a producer

HMH is a good song but the production is awful. hopefully this is his swan song as a Gaga regular

Edited by Applause
  • paws up 1

Popster for Sale 41,795
On 5/4/2022 at 10:24 PM, MANiCURE1295 said:

It just excuses imo 

The potential issue is that people might skip the song once they hear the intro and never get exposed to the rest of the song.

Based on Spotify data, on average, there’s a 24% likelihood of a user skipping a song within 5 seconds, and it’s up to 29% for within 10 seconds. That’s pretty significant.

• paws up 3
  • thanks 3

Pop-a-911-ster 39,279

On 5/4/2022 at 5:36 PM, Dean TANKEDchester said:

I don't even hate Bloodpop (don't know why liddos hate him so much) but I genuinely laugh at the intro still every now and then. So does my wife. We just can't take it seriously. And I'm a stan and she's a casual fan. Look at the reaction video posted yesterday, the guy was confused with the intro as well.

Don't radios also factor in the first few seconds in their survey to see if a song is doing well? I forgot the name of the metric

Oh don’t get me wrong, I understand it’s weird, I mean I don’t necessarily hate it, I don’t love it by any means, I’m just meh about it. Maybe it’s just me being hopeful that it doesn’t turn anyone off, maybe the radio version won’t have the intro just like the radio version of shallow got rid of the crowd noises, who knows! 

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 39,279
On 5/4/2022 at 5:41 PM, BenG said:

The potential issue is that people might skip the song once they hear the intro and never get exposed to the rest of the song.

Based on Spotify data, on average, there’s a 24% likelihood of a user skipping a song within 5 seconds, and it’s up to 29% for within 10 seconds. That’s pretty significant.

Thank you for that data! I had never seen that before! :disappointed:

Popster for Sale 41,795
On 5/4/2022 at 10:45 PM, MANiCURE1295 said:

Thank you for that data! I had never seen that before! :disappointed:

This is from a 2018 article but there are several similar analyses that show that skip rates are very high in the streaming era.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2018/11/17/song-skip-rates/amp/

This has led to song intros reducing from 20-30 seconds to just 5-10 seconds, on average.

Edited by BenG
  • paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 27,133
On 5/4/2022 at 6:54 PM, emig_09 said:

1,5 million views for the YouTube audio

6 (-3) in Trending Worldwide 

Pop-a-911-ster 31,811
On 5/4/2022 at 11:57 PM, MANiCURE1295 said:

We got grandmas on our side, let’s keep the faith :bradley:

The ones who don’t use Spotify or AM amazing :bradley:

• lol 3

Popstanne 9,377
On 5/4/2022 at 3:00 PM, Ms I am a local said:

I ADORE this version. Slower and pitched down. This song I swear! For the people that didn't enjoy the original, perhaps you like this one!

Streams of this wouldnt count so it’d be a waste

• thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:26 AM, Arturo said:

Streams of this wouldnt count so it’d be a waste

Yeah I know hahaha. It's just that I LOVE this production in a more slowed and darker tone and was suggesting the people that didn't quite like the normal version that are not streaming the song (because they don't like it) to give this a try, because it helped me to appreciate it from a different perspective :)

Pop-a-911-ster 26,497
On 5/4/2022 at 7:00 PM, Ms I am a local said:

I ADORE this version. Slower and pitched down. This song I swear! For the people that didn't enjoy the original, perhaps you like this one!

Do NOT steal more streams :lesson:

• lol 2