Charts Discussion Thread - Hold My Hand - out now!

PanPikus

Popster for Sale 45,020
On 4/18/2022 at 9:19 PM, PanPikus said:

The last time Kendrick dropped his studio album, Gaga released a droplet song - The Cure - on the same weekend. 

History likes to repeat? :ohhh:

Kendrick Lamar, Harry Styles, Jack Harlow :toofunny:

the song better be amazing or it'll be drowned out by these album bombs 

Pop-a-911-ster 39,599
On 4/18/2022 at 4:01 PM, Andreu said:

Yes the album has a few bops :applause: and people should be able to aknowledgle both that and the fact it absolutely tanked e

Agreed! Tanked but it did have a couple of pretty good songs honestly! Even Bam Bam grew on me!!!!

Pop-a-911-ster 22,838
On 4/18/2022 at 9:35 PM, Adarsh said:

I just realised that Love for Sale has the same amount of Grammys as Taylor Swift, Red, Reputation, Lover, Evermore and Folklore combined :icant:

but i was told that Taylor is the music industry :bigbird:

• lol 3

Popster to Popster 3,903
On 4/18/2022 at 11:46 PM, emig_09 said:

this bop still blow my mind

I wish Britney had kept this song and added it on 'In The Zone' (it was written for her but she turned it down later on) 😭😭😭

But yeah, it's a bop 😍😍

Edited by Mario Spears
  • yaas, gaga 1

A Popster Is Born 13,485
On 4/19/2022 at 3:36 AM, JennyWayne said:

Remember when pre-Chromatica we thought that LG6 would be Gaga's Ray of Light :toofunny:

ouEjBgf.gif

Isn’t the ROL comparison always reserved for post-pregnancy albums? How does Chromatica fit in here?

spacer.png

Popstanne 8,020
On 4/19/2022 at 12:09 AM, Adarsh said:

Isn’t the ROL comparison always reserved for post-pregnancy albums? How does Chromatica fit in here?

spacer.png

Mostly just comparing the similarities in their career trajectories

ARTPOP was her Erotica, their first major sign of commercial decline, and an era where the GP was mostly against them

Joanne was her Bedtime Stories, a more stripped-back album to slowly win back the GP

A Star is Born was her Evita, a hit movie with a hit soundtrack and her most acclaimed movie role to date

Following next in line for Madonna was Ray of Light, which was a huge success and is still widely seen as her best/second best album.

Then Gaga gaves us Chromatica which is a cute album but it's certainly no Ray of Light

Edited by JennyWayne
  • paws up 1

A Popster Is Born 13,485
On 4/19/2022 at 3:50 AM, JennyWayne said:

A Star is Born was her Evita, a hit movie with a hit soundtrack and her most acclaimed movie role to date

Following next in line for Madonna was Ray of Light, which was a huge success and is still widely seen as her best/second best album.

Then Gaga gaves us Chromatica which is a cute album but it's certainly no Ray of Light

True, but Evita is no ASIB either. Madonna gave it her all but she was still not taken seriously by Hollywood. Her only win/nomination was a golden globe. Not even critics circles touched it with a ten foot pole.

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 26,673
On 4/18/2022 at 6:06 PM, JennyWayne said:

Remember when pre-Chromatica we thought that LG6 would be Gaga's Ray of Light :toofunny:

ouEjBgf.gif

On 4/18/2022 at 6:09 PM, Adarsh said:

spacer.png

I thought asking for Gaga's RoL was more about a career shift with a more mature pop sound while also garnering newfound critical acclaim with good commercial success. Chromatica had the makings of it initially--a very cohesive album that is well-received. Unfortunately we all know what happened.

Another thing to consider is Madonna entered a new phase in her life where she explored her spirituality and new life-philosophy, and these fueled the deep lyricism and amazing melodies of the album. Frozen and the Power of Goodbye are f-ing amazing ballads with good relatable lyrics without being too generic. Ray of Light itself was a very high-octane energetic track. Nothing Really Matters starts slow and then builds up to a full electronic dance track, reflecting the lyrics of how she started selfish and then becoming more selfless. Basically Madonna hit it with a perfect storm of reinvention with meaning that resonated with the GP.

This brings me back to what I said before about Gaga's lyrics (i.e., Enigma) lacking some personal inspiration. Even if they were there, they're too vague in some places. Gaga speaks a lot about going through pain and suffering from it, and songs that explore this (i.e., Alice and 911) are the ones that shine musically and lyrically. Since Joanne she's been trying to find an outlet to "heal" herself for music and I'm a bit sad and worried for her that she still has this problem even during Chromatica era. If and when Gaga connects with her music and channels it properly, the commercial success will follow.