Charts Discussion Thread, Gaga received 10 nominations for the 2nd annual Gold Derby Music Awards

little legend

Pop-a-911-ster 22,838

OMG HOG AND GAGA WAS AMAZING 

Jared Leto was so great as well, but i was kinda annoyed that they only had one daughter in the film when they actually had two

also Jeremy Irons just had a british accent :mess:

• paws up 3
  • lol 1
  • yaas, gaga 2

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OreoÀDeux

• ViviLittleM

• BenG

• Andreu

Pop-a-911-ster 22,838

also two women were sitting behind me who were amazed with Gaga’s performance  and were talking about how she was so unrecognisable and amazing after the movie :catwalk:

spacer.png

• yaas, gaga 4
  • love 1

Pop-a-911-ster 29,027
x3
On 11/27/2021 at 6:10 PM, Gagacharts said:

Gaga´s Spotify update:

Million Reasons - 575.930.870 (+286.144)

Just Dance- 475.363.153 (+396.924)

Poker Face - 620.998.324 (+466.145)

Rain On Me - 721.050.959 (+483.343)

Bad Romance - 649.798.955 (+493.002)

ARUTW - 687.907.236 (+514.194)

Shallow - 1.663.194.251(+907.855)

! Don´t panic, this is normal since christmas songs start to dominate Spotify.

Shallow above 900k - Check 

Panic - Cancelled

• paws up 1

https://slate.com/culture/2021/11/house-of-gucci-accents-lady-gaga-jared-leto-review.html

Slate spoke to Garrett Strommen, who runs a Los Angeles company that offers language lessons and dialect coaching, among other services. Strommen has worked as an Italian dialect coach and consultant for TV, movies, commercials, video games, and more, and agreed to explain exactly what is going on with Gaga and Leto in House of Gucci.

OK, House of Gucci. How would you summarize what you thought of the accents? I would say it’s a bit of a mixed bag. I would say that everybody for the most part brought positive things to their performances, but overall, there were a lot of inconsistencies. 

Let’s go through star by star. How do you think Lady Gaga did? First of all, I’ll say this, that her lines that she had in Italian were actually the best of any of the other actors. She really nailed the lines that were in spoken Italian. That kind of sways me to believe that there was a little more intention with her accent, because I see that she has a command of the language itself and that she understands the mechanics and definitely put some effort and time into it. A lot of the time she really gets the vowel sounds correct. You have to kind of slow down and pronounce each one the way they’re pronounced in Italian.

For example, when she said, [using an accent] “I get bored”: The vowels were all executed perfectly. The other thing in that line are the Rs. If you can’t roll or trill your Rs in Italian, you’re going to sound American no matter what. She did a very good job of trilling, I would say almost all of, her Rs. For reference, Rs in Italian are made the way you pronounce the letter D in English. Your tongue just kind of lightly taps the gumline above your front teeth, whereas with Rs in English, it’s more guttural, in the back of your mouth. 

Another thing she did well is when she pronounces her th- sounds. Italians really struggle with that because they don’t have that aspirated th- sound. She says that more like a D. The downside with that, though, was that it was inconsistent, and she at times would slip out of those perfect vowel sounds and say things like kill instead of keel. She also had a very American-sounding H sound, which is another sound Italians don’t usually use. For example, in Italian, hotel is pronounced OH-tehl, like you don’t even hear the H. But she would often say the H words with a very natural American accent. It’s pretty tricky not to slip into those American sounds when you’re so accustomed to saying those words a certain way, especially when those vowel sounds are kind of hidden, tacked onto consonants that we use all the time in English. 
Overall, her accent conveyed an Italian spirit to me, if that makes sense? Despite the inconsistency.

:billie: Slate ended the unreliable dialect coach/ rejected actress that said gaga sounded Russian :icant:

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 6

Wait they even mentioned the HOG dialect coach’s criticism :icant:

Her accent got a lot of attention when Salma Hayek’s dialect coach from the film said she thought Lady Gaga sounded more Russian than Italian. What did you make of that?

I think that that criticism might be in part due to some of the vowels not being crystal clear. I can see where there’s something going on with some of the vowels, maybe the I sounds, where there’s a little bit of a fluctuation in the vowel sound that can give it the kind of sounds you get in Russian. But it didn’t sound like a Russian accent to me. It sounded like a unique, not exactly standard Italian accent. There was a kind of a uniqueness to it, which perhaps is based on the original Italian dialect that her character in real life spoke. I don’t think it sounded Russian per se.

• paws up 1
  • thanks 3

Popster for Sale 41,995
On 11/27/2021 at 6:31 PM, Aloe said:

Wait they even mentioned the HOG dialect coach’s criticism :icant:

Her accent got a lot of attention when Salma Hayek’s dialect coach from the film said she thought Lady Gaga sounded more Russian than Italian. What did you make of that?

I think that that criticism might be in part due to some of the vowels not being crystal clear. I can see where there’s something going on with some of the vowels, maybe the I sounds, where there’s a little bit of a fluctuation in the vowel sound that can give it the kind of sounds you get in Russian. But it didn’t sound like a Russian accent to me. It sounded like a unique, not exactly standard Italian accent. There was a kind of a uniqueness to it, which perhaps is based on the original Italian dialect that her character in real life spoke. I don’t think it sounded Russian per se.

Any particular reason this coach is more credible than Salma Hayek’s coach?

On 11/28/2021 at 2:38 AM, BenG said:

Both coaches had experience living in Italy (I think Salam’s coach is a native nevertheless) and both had experience into the acting field. The only difference was whether they had reasons to be biased to a certain degree in their review which Salma’s dialect coach reeked considering she was rejected from a part in the film and could be seen as wanting to punish HOG through tarnishing fadga’s reputation 

• paws up 2
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 30,425

Exactly a year ago today, Bad Bunny released her third solo album El Último Tour Del Mundo, which made history as the first ever fully non-anglophone album to top the Billboard 200. The album debuted with 85M global streams during its first day of availability on Spotify. Its songs occupied the top 8 spots of the chart.

The album's lead single Dákiti, which features Jhay Cortez, was released in October 30 and became one of the biggest spanish-language hits of the 21st century. Currently it has over 1100 million Spotify streams and its music video has over 965 views on YT. It peaked at #1 on the global spotify chart and received over 10M streams on the day the album was released.

The duet with Rosalia La Noche de Anoche also became a massive hit, peaking at #2 on the global WW spotify Chart. It currently has 575M spotify streams and 610M on YouTube. Rosalía and Bad Bunny performed the song on SNL.

El Último Tour del Mundo has been nominated for next year's Grammys in the best urban album category, which Bad Bunny himself won this year with his second album YHLQMDLG. It also earned two nomination at the latin grammy awards: Album of the Year (which he lost) and best urban album (which he Won). One of the songs on the album, Booker T, was also awarded as the Best Rap Song of the year by the LAtin Grammies

• paws up 2

A Popster Is Born 13,485
On 11/28/2021 at 12:08 AM, BenG said:

Salma’s coach claimed that she taught Salma how to do a  “perfect south Milanese accent” in HoG and she could master it very well, while in the movie she sounds just like she normally does. I wonder why they even hired that woman :icant:

Popster for Sale 45,020
On 11/27/2021 at 7:49 PM, GucciOreos said:

Gaga was incredible in the movie, truly the best thing about it. The rest was alright, not great but enjoyable.

Spoiler

Let me add that Pacino and Leto's performances were also absolutely great for me. The movie was very long (and I had to watch it in one sitting bc covid apparently means no breaks) so by the end I was waiting for things to wrap up though. 

Edited by GucciOreos
  • paws up 2