Charts Discussion Thread, Gaga received 10 nominations for the 2nd annual Gold Derby Music Awards

little legend

• Replies 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OreoÀDeux

• ViviLittleM

• BenG

• Andreu

A Popster Is Born 11,940
On 9/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, ChromaticaOreos said:

was SL a stable decrease though? :icant:

I think it was a freefall :leap:

It was an extremly stable decrease, which was a good sign back then :icant:

• lol 2
  • yaas, gaga 1

A Popster Is Born 18,574
On 9/23/2021 at 5:24 PM, gagaxuan said:

Wait why do we assume the 75k signed copies for Taylor is already a sure no-1 for the album?

I believe Gaga can do at least 100k copies right lol

These are JUST the signed CD’s, Taylor is releasing also vinyls on the same day. 

@Dean of Clownmatica I'm not sure why the "Gaga is an albums artist" defense was ever developed, but I completely agree. It deflects attention away from her more impressive feat, which is the balance of big album sales (esp. pure sales) AND big singles sales, above-average peaks, and moderate longevity. An "albums artist" is an act with the sales of Gaga, sustained over a longer period and without the same success via singles she's achieved. As you said, one look at a Katy Perry shows Gaga doesn't have the longevity to warrant that description, but she shouldn't need it with her stats.

Compared to Katy:

1. From an "albums artist" lense, it's a wash at their peaks: TF = TD, ASIB has ~10 on PRISM; ARTPOP has ~10 on WITNESS; OOTB has ~20 on TFM.
  2. Katy had a clear peak on both BB100/200 during 3 eras; Gaga has sustained above-average stats on 1 or both charts over 12 years. The above ignores: BTW (56), Joanne (49), and left alone Smile (4) and Chromatica (41).
  3. The peaks / sales of releases like The Remix, BTW: The Remix, and DOC show how Gaga's non-LP releases do well, while Katy's only charting extra release was MTV Unplugged at 190+ and 1 week. 

Even comparing TD to TF is deceiving, since I don't think TD would have its #'s if The Ultimate Confection had to stand against TFM. But, that brings up a problem with both Gaga's team and BB, since TFM's 75 weeks are impressive, but we all know TF has benefit from TFM (Deluxe) -- but to what degree, I don't think we can say exactly.

• paws up 1

@Dean of ClownmaticaJust to round out my thoughts, it would've been great if her team had:

1. TFM: 10th Anniversary Re-release with additional tracks and EP-only physical copies.
  2. BTW: Scaled-back Standard release in 2011 (~12 tracks) + 'traditional' Re-release in 2012 (~5-6 tracks) to maintain the era's momentum and sales.
  3. ARTPOP: released a Deluxe edition of the album in spring 2014 (Brooklyn Nights, Temple, IWBWY, Nothin' On) + iTunes live versions + 1-2 more singles (Gypsy, BN and/or Sexxx Dreams remix).
  4. Joanne: added The Cure, Million Reasons (Andrelli remix), Joanne (WDYTYG?) onto streaming edition of the album + 1-2 more WW singles (Joanne, The Cure remix).
  5. ASIB: released a Bradley track (fall 2018) + ARUTW (Mar 2019) + INLA (Jun 2019) as WW singles.
  6. Chromatica: added the bonus tracks (LMR, 1000 Doves - PV) and remixes (for SL, ROM, 911, FW) onto the streaming edition of the album + 1-2 more WW singles (911, SC).

Obviously, things like ACT II and/or a full re-release of Joanne are on the table, but these seem like fairly easy wins that would've extended the legs of all her eras. I mean, does anyone really consider the longevity of ARTPOP, Joanne, and Chromatica to be flops with only 2 singles? 

• paws up 2

On 9/23/2021 at 7:37 PM, JustJames said:

@Dean of ClownmaticaJust to round out my thoughts, it would've been great if her team had:

1. TFM: 10th Anniversary Re-release with additional tracks and EP-only physical copies.
  2. BTW: Scaled-back Standard release in 2011 (~12 tracks) + 'traditional' Re-release in 2012 (~5-6 tracks) to maintain the era's momentum and sales.
  3. ARTPOP: released a Deluxe edition of the album in spring 2014 (Brooklyn Nights, Temple, IWBWY, Nothin' On) + iTunes live versions + 1-2 more singles (Gypsy, BN and/or Sexxx Dreams remix).
  4. Joanne: added The Cure, Million Reasons (Andrelli remix), Joanne (WDYTYG?) onto streaming edition of the album + 1-2 more WW singles (Joanne, The Cure remix).
  5. ASIB: released a Bradley track (fall 2018) + ARUTW (Mar 2019) + INLA (Jun 2019) as WW singles.
  6. Chromatica: added the bonus tracks (LMR, 1000 Doves - PV) and remixes (for SL, ROM, 911, FW) onto the streaming edition of the album + 1-2 more WW singles (911, SC).

Obviously, things like ACT II and/or a full re-release of Joanne are on the table, but these seem like fairly easy wins that would've extended the legs of all her eras. I mean, does anyone really consider the longevity of ARTPOP, Joanne, and Chromatica to be flops with only 2 singles? 

I honestly just hope one day she'll celebrate TFM the way it deserved for the 10th anniversary. It's probably on of her biggest impactful moments in her career and she just hasn't done anything, which was a big mistake imo. 

Edited by monketsharona
  • sad 2

Popster for Sale 45,012
On 9/23/2021 at 7:19 PM, monketsharona said:

I honestly just hope one day she'll celebrate TFM the way it deserved for the 10th anniversary. It's probably on of her biggest impactful moments in her career and she just hasn't done anything, which was a big mistake imo. 

she's still trying to figure out how to relate TFM to kindness :billie:

• lol 3

Popster to Popster 2,978
On 9/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, monketsharona said:

The Fame Monster is Gaga's most successful album and certainly the greatest female era since Madonna's COAD. TFM is her best known album from the GP, anyone knows songs like Bad Romance, Telephone and Alejandro but also tracks like Monster, Dance in the dark and Speechless

• yaas, gaga 1

On 9/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, Established Legend said:

Max's reaction on Stupid Love pretty much represents GP's reaction on that song 

And I Oop Whatcha Say GIF by Jasmine Masters

Spoiler

But no you’re right, serving the gays came at a cost :billie:

Edited by ItsGenuineGuy09
  • lol 3

Pop-a-911-ster 31,958

Spotify Australia :

#86 (+3) Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow 

Spotify New Zealand :

#90 (-2) Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow

Spotify Switzerland :

#108 (+3) Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow