Charts Discussion - Dancing to Dawn Of Chromatica

corvus albus

Pop-a-911-ster 31,828

Spotify

Always Remember Us This Way - 610 414 898 streams

Look What You Made Me Do - 631 896 634 streams

Almost a gap with 20M streams now :creepin: 1 month ago the gap was about 30M streams :creepin:

• paws up 4
  • yaas, gaga 3

Popster for Sale 57,258
3 minutes ago, Andreu said:

I thought no one was going to defend the digitally signed scam nnnnnnnn :mess:

I hope at least it's stated when you buy a copy, otherwise it's doing playback on a concert-like scammery :mess:

The Fame Popster 333

Also, @Delusional, I tend to agree with a lot of your points, but comparing Willow to ROM just doesn't make a lot of sense for a few reasons. I don't think anyone here was asking Gaga to release 8-10 remixes of Stupid Love or ROM during their release weeks, but we WERE asking for some sort of promo, which - as you kind of alluded to - is necessary in the streaming era for longevity. ROM may not have smashed in the U.S. as hoped, but do you honestly think you can use Willow as a comparable example, or think it could've come close to 1) a #1 debut/peak, and 2) 20 weeks charting, without releasing several remixes on the 1st week, being included in multiple versions of its parent album, etc.? 

ROM's chart run on BB100 was as close to an organic run as it gets in 2020-2021; there was basically the bare minimum promo done to support its launch, before being left to fend for itself those next 20 weeks. I mean, had Interscope not pulled the plug on Pop Radio and/or the VMAs not been the debut performance (AFTER the Radio pull), it'd have done much bigger #s, and Radio support / performances are 100% legitimate ways of exposing and promoting a song (whether 1990 or 2020). 

• paws up 6
  • thanks 2

A Popster Is Born 16,283
7 minutes ago, Delusional said:

If someone has a fanbase that large I’d say that makes them successful, no? 

1k people buying 100 copies will never be same as 100k ppl buying 1 copy

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 31,828
1 minute ago, Delusional said:
  1. Thank you for agreeing with my points 
  2. Do you honestly think Rain On Me could’ve came close to a no.1 debut without the bundles?

yes ROM was #2 on the WEEKLY US Spotify charts with almost 12M streams from this platform alone 

• paws up 4

A Popster Is Born 16,283
4 minutes ago, Delusional said:
  1. Thank you for agreeing with my points 
  2. Do you honestly think Rain On Me could’ve came close to a no.1 debut without the bundles?

ROM bundles were switched to Chromatica in the middle of tracking week, It did 7k bundles (or was it 5k, I don't recall) which is 14 points, and it had 50 points lead to #2 according to predictors 

Actually 7k was not just bundles, because it counts digital sales from her website

Edited by Replay
  • paws up 3

A Popster Is Born 16,283
1 minute ago, Delusional said:

I thought someone did the math and it said it would only go #4 without bundles due to lack of radio? Or is that fake news?

did you just make that up or did you fall for sumtn oghs made up

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 27,681
32 minutes ago, Delusional said:

Because they use the same tactics ???

Sorry, but Gaga never discounted the discounted versions of her discounts. She also doesn´t release like 15 versions of the same album to boost her sales or use her dogs hair to sell albums.

• paws up 6
  • lol 1

Pop-a-911-ster 30,382
30 minutes ago, Sir.Sim said:

Spotify ww

#3(new) Yonaguni (+7,114,986)

@Andreu

The biggest debut for a latin song of all time :applause:

On the one hand it's a shame because I can't see it going any higher WW in the coming weeks, with both Olivia and Rauw (deserving smashing), and in a less busy week it would have reached it

• love 1

Popster to Popster 4,833

Comparing Gaga with Taylor Swift makes no sense, there's literally a HUGE difference in promotion, one team does pretty much everything to get high spots on the charts and as much sales as possible, the other one either seems to not care that much or they are glad with what they get eventually. These daily unnecessary Taylor fights on this thread are pointless and very tiring

• paws up 4

Pop-a-911-ster 30,382

Rauw's Todo de Ti vs Bad Bunny's Yonaguni

Spoiler

Not trying to paint a fake feud or rivalry but both songs are literally fighting for the top spot in many countries so

(countries ranked by the amount of plays the #1 has)

México

#1 Rauw 1,9M :rip:

#2 Bad 1,6M

Spain

#1 Rauw 1,5M

#2 BB 760k

A kii that rauw is doing twice as much :mess:

Chile

#1 BB 850k

#2 Rauw 539l

Perú

#1 Rauw

#2 Bad

Colombia

#1 BB 

#2 Rauw 

Bolivia

#1 Rauw

#2 BB

Pop-a-911-ster 30,382
32 minutes ago, Replay said:

it's not scam, you’re becoming borderline misogynistic.

C5DB1E58-80C9-45D4-9447-945BDB5D140D.thumb.jpeg.b8956a1166ca9e8e914d9fd044294577.jpeg

unlike when her fans throw gaga under the bus because we all know gaga is a man

C5DB1E58-80C9-45D4-9447-945BDB5D140D.thu

• lol 1

The Fame Popster 333

@Delusional Not picking on you, but this ties to something I remember you posting re: BB100 measuring consumption, and how it shouldn't matter if 90% of a song's sales come from 1 fan, etc. This article does a decent job explaining it: "When I consume something, like electricity or food, then it’s gone, and can’t be used by anyone else. But having bought that David Bowie song from iTunes, I can listen to it endlessly, play it for other people, put it in playlists, mull it over when I’m not listening to it, sample it, remix it, or mash it up with other songs. (And I have done all of these things.)"

Consumption is an economic term. Prior to the digital era, it could be forced onto the music industry / reflected on BB100. For a song to hit #1, it meant that - like most products in an economy - people had to become aware of it, consider it, and then make the time / financial investment to purchase a physical edition. BB100 did not track how many times Britney fans played 1 CD of "Baby One More Time" after purchase - it was 'consumed' when taken off the shelf. Yes, a fan COULD take time to go back, purchase again and again.. but, why?

In 2021, BB100 no longer reflects how music makes it way to a broad audience, inspires them to purchase it / request on Radio / etc. With streaming / digital sales, a large fan-base is enough. Teens don't need to get to a store to purchase that 1 CD. They have unlimited access (time / financial) to music on streaming, and unlike that CD, which counted 1 time and was replaced by that store as an indicator of demand, every single time a fan streams a song, it is being counted. That is NOT consumption. 

This post is 1) boring, and 2) at least a little (maybe a lot) incorrect re: economically, but it's as close as I can get right now. To be closer to a TRUE reflection of music in a greater market / economy, BB does need to make changes, some that have been suggested here, like:

1) Limiting remixes / versions = count them as totally new entries, OR limit them to 1/week, 2/song (0 on debut week)... add provisions that if a 3rd has significant streams / sales / etc., it may count, but otherwise, these are not even making it into 99% of the market's awareness set, let alone CONSUMED.
2) Reducing the # of streams counted per account, especially on debut week = why would it not be right to consider 1 stream per account as consumption? Or, 2 (if 1 = seeing if you like the song?) Or, 'liking' it / adding it to a playlist, etc.?
3) Weighing request-driven AI (countdowns, etc.) for Radio higher to reduce Payola impact.
4) Regulating playlists on Radio and Streaming so all labels/artists have equal access and opportunity; weigh ones where Payola is accepted less than request / popularity-driven ones.

• paws up 6

3 hours ago, Andreu said:

But when it comes to the artists with the very most monthly listeners, I bet a big part of their ML don't come from locals who like one or two songs by them, play them once a week and have no interest in getting to know their whole catalog, but to people who use premade playlists as background music, press play and leave them playing, without even realising (or even caring) if they are playing X artist or Y artist

Total Playlist Reach

Olivia Rodrigo: 257M

BTS: 337M

Most Playlisted Songs Currently

Olivia: G4U (125M), Deja Vu (96,4M), DL (94M)

BTS: Butter (137M), Dynamite (79,5M)

ML

Olivia: 50,9M

BTS: 32,7M

Followers

Olivia: 3,07M 

BTS: 33,8M

A 18,2M difference on ML and BTS has an overall better playlisted catalogue, which makes sense because they have more songs and have been longer in the music scene.

Edited by Ms I am a local