Charts Discussion - Gaga already crossed 1B on spotify this year

Andreu

Moderator 3,690
8 minutes ago, JennyWayne said:

At this rate Taylor and Ariana are going to occupy the entire top 10 by December :toofunny:

The fact that Lover was Taylor's first album to be on streaming services on release date and it was less than 2 years ago and since then Taylor has released 2 new albums and a full on rerecorded version of an old album and all of those 4 did huge numbers. Her work ethic is ridiculous and she truly has transitioned herself extremely well into the streaming era within 2 years. 

• paws up 2

A Popster Is Born 12,830
5 minutes ago, Andreu said:

Comparing debut numbers is not fair in my opinion, because to put it in a simplistic way, between a 9 track project all of whose songs debut within the top 15 and a 30 songs project with only one song debuting top 20 but with more overall streams, which one do you think is more successful? It's not a comparable situation, but of course at the end of the day both kind of successes do amazing and there is no need to debate about which success is bigger. 

(And I think we tend to give first day numbers and chart debuts a bigger importance than they have, but it makes total sense since we're all dying to know how will a song perform on the charts even before it's release. But that's another story).

The same works with albums as a whole, I don't think adding the plays of every single song in an album is not a good way to measure one album's success and compare it against the others. Specially now when it seems like some artists are on a competiton about who can drag their era longer and more and more singles.

But which other fairer method could we use to compare numbers between albums? because doing the average between the album tracks would also be unfair. Anywayssss its not that serious I guess :icant:

At the end of the day it outstreamed Chromatica and justice by like 3-5m but she's big on streaming and has a lot more tracks... C3 is 3 seconds shorter and could've given Gaga a 50m debut.. It doesn't matter :laughga:

Edited by ItsGenuineGuy09
  • paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 26,628
40 minutes ago, ChromaticaOreos said:

Folklore did 80M, Evermore did 67M and now Fearless did 50M, surprised?

Is the GP finally getting tired of Miss Swift?

:mess:

She released too many things too close to each other. I haven't even had the time to fully enjoy Evermore.

Anyway, Style, Delicate, Cornelia Street, Invisible Strings remain her best songs from their respective albums (but I also like a lot more).

Still don't care about her reheated songs :creepin:

• paws up 3

Popster for Sale 41,936
8 minutes ago, Andreu said:

Comparing debut numbers is not fair in my opinion, because to put it in a simplistic way, between a 9 track project all of whose songs debut within the top 15 and a 30 songs project with only one song debuting top 20 but with more overall streams, which one do you think is more successful? It's not a comparable situation, but of course at the end of the day both kind of successes do amazing and there is no need to debate about which success is bigger. 

(And I think we tend to give first day numbers and chart debuts a bigger importance than they have, but it makes total sense since we're all dying to know how will a song perform on the charts even before it's release. But that's another story).

The same works with albums as a whole, I don't think adding the plays of every single song in an album is not a good way to measure one album's success and compare it against the others. Specially now when it seems like some artists are on a competiton about who can drag their era longer and more and more singles.

But which other fairer method could we use to compare numbers between albums? because doing the average between the album tracks would also be unfair. Anywayssss its not that serious I guess :icant:

there's always the UK method :elmo:

Pop-a-911-ster 26,628
24 minutes ago, donatellab said:

wow her fanbase is really huge and loyal, meanwhile liddos can’t even stream Gaga’s albums regularly :mess:

I mean there are at least 2 chartsters who haven't even touched SL for months now so :mess:

And Taylor may not be global but holy sh!t does she more than make up for it with her US numbers 

Pop-a-911-ster 30,391

J Balvin's new single Otra Noche Sin ti (which is great btw) debuts at #54 with 1,7M streams. Bad positions because of the timing but good figure (would've been #36 last friday)

Country debuts

#8 Colombia*

#37 Spain*

#40 México*

#40 Panamá

#57 USA

#63 Chile

#83 Uruguay

#86 Perú

#105 Argentina

*highest debut of the day/week

Popster This Way 731
1 minute ago, Delusional said:

Her work ethic is honestly incredible compared to her peers that debuted around the same time as her 

Selena has released like 3 solo albums in 8 years while playing Instagram model and not bothering to improve on anything :rip:

Well.. Selena has so many health problems.. 

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 30,391
4 minutes ago, BenG said:

there's always the UK method :elmo:

I honestly think it's the fairest one in use. Prevents an album from being carried by one single successful song (and limits the tracks counted iirc). I do think taking away the most successful tracks figures is something that's not the perfect solution, because they are still part of the album and it's natural that one songs do better than the others. (and in many cases a song doing better than the rest doesn't mean carrying the album)

Edited by Andreu

Popster for Sale 44,888
Just now, DeanClownchester said:

Getting traction yaaaass :icant:

I still can't decide the best way to spell it but whew delay it bestie

It's genius tbh

deLaydy Gaga?

deLady Gaga?

• yaas, gaga 1