Charts Discussion - Stream the #1 WW smash Grammy Winner God On Me

Miaou

Popster for Sale 57,535

Spotify March 10th:

The Fame(Monster) : 2,742,191,702 (+2,285,634)
A Star Is Born : 3,452,128,257 (+2,195,500)
Chromatica : 1,437,452,247 (+2,010,123)
Born This Way : 962,864,594 (+743,838)
Joanne : 1,187,617,014 (+465,844)
ARTPOP : 764,333,746 (+322,825)
Cheek to Cheek : 108,001,024 (+40,486)
  • paws up 11
  • yaas, gaga 1

The Fame Popster 333
31 minutes ago, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

Since Spotify creation I believe Gaga has only ever took the TTH cover on 3 occasions: Shallow, Stupid Love, Chromatica release. Dua has taken the cover more than that in 1 era :rip:

2 hours ago, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

Yeah Shallow definitely underperformed in the US compared to its size in the rest of the globe. First radio paid it dust and it had tepid callout response...

...GP was here for Shallow no matte what so it was begging to be promoted and you could see that on iTunes

I don't get it; was the GP here for Shallow or not? Because every time we discuss GP reception of Chromatica, you rely on callout scores as a key (sole) indicator that its dance-pop sound was a turn-off. Any correlation between callout scores / GP reception falls apart for Dua, Ava, etc., and now Shallow, so why's that theory still being pushed?

It's clear callout scores aren't 1) the biggest influence on Pop Radio growth, or 2) a reflection of long-term success. You've seen the callout scores + streaming trajectory of Dua's singles relative to their positions on Radio, TTH / playlists, and BB100. How can you then conclude the GP was here for FN, but not Chromatica?

Could it be a (Pop) hit in the U.S. requires continued promo for the exposure (air-play, playlists) needed to reach the GP in a market dominated by other genres? Shallow only broke through after continued exposure via Oscar-nom'd film and took a viral performance to go #1. All signs (recurrent streams, place in Pop culture, etc.) point to the GP being "here" for Shallow, so isn't there more evidence to support the role of labels than callout scores (Interscope, who failed to send a sure-fire hit in ARUTW to Radio, or have Shallow playlisted on Spotify)?

I think w/ promo given to most artists, Chromatica (huge opening #s on every platform, acclaim, positive press, MV views) would've smashed. By 1) pulling 2 singles from Pop Radio early, 2) doing minimal Spotify promo, 3) giving 2-3 interviews + 1 performance, etc., it never even made it to the "awareness" stage of the GP, let alone to a point where we could assess its reception. 

1 hour ago, zoldyck said:

maybe some tracks like LWIF, music to my eyes, maybe its time can hit silver too. ARUTW deserves to be multi-platinum, but i must be very far. 

I get the film itself was priority vs. OST, but Interscope could've pushed a Bradley single (Maybe It's Time) and/or taken a risk sending MTME to Country Radio while Shallow smashed. That album deserved more and those tracks could've retained / built momentum until ARUTW was released to carry through Grammys season.

1. 09/2018: Shallow = WW single (ITA, LWIF promo singles)
  2. 10/2018 - 11/2018: Maybe It's Time + Music To My Eyes = US/Country Radio singles
  3. 11/2018: INLA = international single
  4. 12/2018 - 01/2019: "Ally" MVs for Heal Me, BIC, WDYDT?, HBF (1-3)
  5. 03/2019: ARUTW = WW single
  6. 05/2019: ASIB (Platinum Edition)

With ARUTW+Shallow+INLA medley at Grammys (02/2019), Shallow at Oscars (02/2019), ARUTW at BBMAs (05/2019), etc. ARTPOP, Joanne, and Chromatica each had only 2 fully promo'd singles, so if ASIB - major WW success/re-peak in Gaga's career - didn't warrant a campaign for a solo hit, follow-up singles, accolades, etc., what will? 

• paws up 1

Popster for Sale 45,038
4 minutes ago, JustJames said:

With ARUTW+Shallow+INLA medley at Grammys (02/2019), Shallow at Oscars (02/2019), ARUTW at BBMAs (05/2019), etc. ARTPOP, Joanne, and Chromatica each had only 2 fully promo'd singles, so if ASIB - major WW success/re-peak in Gaga's career - didn't warrant a campaign for a solo hit, follow-up singles, accolades, etc., what will? 

This. 

Absolutely nothing will, I don't think we should expect more from them than a midly promoted lead single from now on, which is absurd, but it is what it is. 

Popster to Popster 4,420

4 hours ago, Doncho said:

Are ARUTW and INLA elegible for multi Platinum in the US?

They need to update them, and Shallow too :arguega:

I think so, Shallow is eligible for around 6x Plat in the US, ARUTW 3x and INLA 2x.

If Shallow's recurrent streams stay good, it should do around 1m units/yr in the US, eventually getting to Diamond. When JD is certified Diamond she'd have 4 Diamond songs. :romance:

Edited by WildAmerican
  • yaas, gaga 2

15 minutes ago, Delusional said:

I’m so sick of this 2 single nonsense by Bobby

and even with so little singles they can't even manage those right, PI 1 week on TTH, mv release when the song was already dead, SL put on hold after it's release week because of Corona, MR never having a single week on TTH, lack of interest from gaga for all songs except MR :icant:

Only ROM has been treated good past Applause but it lacked longevity because of no promo for from Gaga meanwhile both Shallow and ARTUW became big on it's own thanks to the movie. They did great work Oscar week to secure that #1 though. 

Edited by artgagapop
  • paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 30,433
A Popster Is Born 12,847
19 minutes ago, artgagapop said:

and even with so little singles they can't even manage those right, PI 1 week on TTH, mv release when the song was already dead, SL put on hold after it's release week because of Corona, MR never having a single week on TTH, lack of interest from gaga for all songs except MR :icant:

ARUTW got a vertical video on TTH and they'll only do that with good songs that'll stay stable (a reverse Chromatican experience) the European radio audience was really here for that song especially as per their callouts (it got better callouts than Shallow) 

Edited by ItsGenuineGuy09
  • paws up 1

A Popster Is Born 11,949
1 hour ago, artgagapop said:

Hoping Dua wins AOTY tbh, she deserves it. Not here for another AOTY win for taylor and i don't even know the rest of the albums that are nominated :icant:

But what is more embarrassing for us? Taylor winning 3 times or Dua winning before Godga:ohhh:

A Popster Is Born 11,949
34 minutes ago, WildAmerican said:

I think so, Shallow is eligible for around 6x Plat in the US, ARUTW 3x and INLA 2x.

If Shallow's recurrent streams stay good, it should do around 1m units/yr in the US, eventually getting to Diamond. When JD is certified Diamond she'd have 4 Diamond songs. :romance:

Thank you!

ARUTW x3 Platinum :bradley: It will look so good when it finally happens

Moderator 17,148
Just now, Doncho said:

But what is more embarrassing for us? Taylor winning 3 times or Dua winning before Godga:ohhh:

Honestly, both things would be a travesty. There are better albums nominated than those two and if a band like Mumford And Sons can win with their embarrassing second album, so can HAIM or any of the other "indie" artists there.

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 30,433

The best outcome for the big categories are for "commercially irrelevant" contenders to win, I've been saying this since day one. However, I feel that if neither TS or DL sweep and they both win a couple awards, the chances of ROM winning its category do up since it won't have to serve as a consolation price for neither (or for Taylor specifically, because I don't see Un Día winning a grammy).

Popster for Sale 57,535

Dua needs and deserves that AOTY win, she served an excellent album that has the same Metascore as Folklore and that spawned multiple hit singles (the commercial impact of an album is taken into account for AOTY) + it would be a great way to consolidate her name, Taylor already won it twice so she'd be fine without it

juju_sieht_jetzt_aus_wie_christina_aguilera.thumb.jpg.887e262ab018f47dfb45407eeee9947e.jpg

• paws up 1