Charts Discussion - Stream the #1 WW smash Grammy Winner God On Me

Miaou

Moderator 3,690
4 minutes ago, DeanClownchester said:

The outro of SFA is something very Gaga and I love it, but we differ with the production stance. I like that it was polished because it reminds me of the cohesiveness of another pop masterpiece--COADF. I think it sounds generic because it was intentionally made to homage the 90s sound, and as a 90s kid, it was the right kind of nostalgia. The 80s is overused as a reference decade, and before Chromatica, I didn't even think I'd want or think a 90s throwback is possible. And yet even with the intentional 90s house influence, there are just enough spice in there to avoid being too generic for me.

Having been born at the end of 90s I don't have nostalgia for the timeframe which influences my perception of this album surely. However I kind of wish that she had gone even deeper into 90s house as it is one of my favourite genres of dance music - Free Woman's demo has much more house influences than the finished product.

• paws up 2
  • thanks 1

Kindness Admin 7,552

Is there any way Blinding Lights doesn’t take back #1 after tonight? Unless he unveils a new song which takes a lot of the attention?

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 29,026
x3
1 minute ago, admin said:

Is there any way Blinding Lights doesn’t take back #1 after tonight? Unless he unveils a new song which takes a lot of the attention?

Olivio Rodriguez is very strong . I don't know:enigma:

Edited by little legend
  • paws up 1

5 minutes ago, Joesuda said:

Having been born at the end of 90s I don't have nostalgia for the timeframe which influences my perception of this album surely. However I kind of wish that she had gone even deeper into 90s house as it is one of my favourite genres of dance music - Free Woman's demo has much more house influences than the finished product.

I can see why and I imagine if I encountered the demo prior to the album version, I might say the same. But as a personal preference I try to limit listening to demos before I hear the actual studio version. I think we also have to consider whether going deeper house would make it less or more generic? Would you trade off just the right amount of influence or go full without entering the territory of simply copying old productions.

Moderator 3,690
3 minutes ago, admin said:

I think it will mainly come down to how big the boost will be on streaming and on sales. However BL has been at the top of itunes for so long so I don't know how big that boost could be. Also the Weeknd's team is focusing on Save Your Tears currently so maybe they are hoping to push that to #1 maybe?

However Driver's License has been stable on streaming and sales and it keeps climbing on radio so it may end up being quite close. 

• paws up 1

A Popster Is Born 16,381
5 minutes ago, admin said:

Save Your Tears might take it instead since more ppl already know BL. They should discount it asap if they didn't already

Edited by Applause
  • paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 31,952

the fact that the cinemas/restaurants/bars/museums/theaters/ski resorts/sports room/Eiffel Tower/DisneyLand/Louvres...etc are closed since October in the country :rip::rip::rip: and they won't re-open before April at best :rip:

not even during the World War II it was closed during such a long time 

poor them :( 

Edited by Miaou

Moderator 3,690
1 minute ago, DeanClownchester said:

I can see why and I imagine if I encountered the demo prior to the album version, I might say the same. But as a personal preference I try to limit listening to demos before I hear the actual studio version. I think we also have to consider whether going deeper house would make it less or more generic? Would you trade off just the right amount of influence or go full without entering the territory of simply copying old productions.

I also don't listen to demos before the album comes out so this opinion does not come from that. I think that the amount of influence is a valid point and here probably my love for house makes me biased. A counterpoint would be that house is not the prevalent form of music currently so it would not be that generic (at least I think so). Also Gaga's personality, lyrics will always give it additional flavour. I still like the album version and consider one of the highlights so :). I also like Chromatica so this is not me saying that it is a bad album. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 3,690
6 minutes ago, Applause said:

she's around 350 points, that's not that strong

I mean before she came around the #1 was having like 280 points (Mood in ca November) so she definitely is stronger than that. Also the points overall are quite weak due to Billboard limiting UGC streams from Youtube. She is still making 2M+ gains on radio and she did the first life performance thursday evening so that should give it a small boost this tracking week also. But it is hard to predict how big of a boost a song will get from the Superbowl as there has been a lot of variety on that front. 

4 minutes ago, Joesuda said:

I also don't listen to demos before the album comes out so this opinion does not come from that. I think that the amount of influence is a valid point and here probably my love for house makes me biased. A counterpoint would be that house is not the prevalent form of music currently so it would not be that generic (at least I think so). Also Gaga's personality, lyrics will always give it additional flavour. I still like the album version and consider one of the highlights so :). I also like Chromatica so this is not me saying that it is a bad album. 

All fair points. At the end of the day, Gaga always puts a flair on things. She takes an old thing and makes it new. And on top of that, she can go Gaga or she can go Lady, which really just emphasizes on how versatile she can be.

• paws up 1

Popster for Sale 57,531
15 minutes ago, Miaou said:

the fact that the cinemas/restaurants/bars/museums/theaters/ski resorts/sports room/Eiffel Tower/DisneyLand/Louvres...etc are closed since October in the country :rip::rip::rip: and they won't re-open before April at best :rip:

not even during the World War II it was closed during such a long time 

poor them :( 

Totally, like the only place you can go to is magazines to go shopping and even big malls are closed :rip:

They could’ve at least opened museums, Paris is so devoid of life  

• hugs 1