Haus Labs dragged! 'Triggering image' in ad

ItsGenuineGuy09

ARTPOPster 1,065
30 minutes ago, Daylight Oreos said:

Not a good business decision. Is it normal to show eyeliner swatches like this? I only usually see eyeshadow swatches presented this way.

not really, at least not the companies themself

reviewers do them on their wrist sometimes but mostly on the back of their hand or directly on the eye... but i actually found another example of a wrist swatch... from miss kesha

if you google image search most wrist-swatch pics are from sephora.com :stopga:

Edited by PopEmergency

34 minutes ago, PopEmergency said:

not really, at least not the companies themself

reviewers do them on their wrist sometimes but mostly on the back of their hand or directly on the eye... but i actually found another example of a wrist swatch... from miss kesha

if you google image search most wrist-swatch pics are from sephora.com :stopga:

None of the "makeup swatch wrist" images I Googled resemble anything close to what Haus Labs is being criticized for sharing. Even the image you shared is not even close.

Why are people still trying to defend this?

• thanks 1

ARTPOPster 1,319
8 hours ago, HeavyMetalLover said:

None of the "makeup swatch wrist" images I Googled resemble anything close to what Haus Labs is being criticized for sharing. Even the image you shared is not even close.

Why are people still trying to defend this?

Because what was posted isn’t actually offensive. Triggering doesn’t automatically equal offensive. The context of this should be taken into consideration, in the makeup industry, an infinite amount of companies have done swatches on that part of the arm, ppl really be acting like this is the first time they’ve ever seen a wrist swatch. 

• paws up 1

Gaming Leader 8,440

The thing is the way swatches were made and shown. From being in the makeup industry, yeah we see a lot of arm swatches for eyeshadow, highlight, foundation, concealer, color range... but for eyeliner, it's rare. It's also how the swatches looks, they look like cuts, which is triggering for those who can relate. If you can't relate, then it could be "normal" for you to not find it offensive.

Of course, you can't take away triggers from someone who lived a traumatic experience with it. I personally don't think Haus Labs should be cancelled, but this was a bad decision and they f-ed up, no excuse.

• paws up 1

Gaming Leader 8,440

These are some of the promo picture swatches from the best selling eyeliners at my work, Sephora.

NOTE: Eye pencils comes in a variety of colors, meaning that they usually go for an arm swatch. For eyeliners, they never do that, which was the case for Haus Labs when they did an arm swatch for an eyeliner.

Exhibit A - Eyeliners

Spoiler

s1177567-av-07-zoom.jpg?imwidth=1224

s2181238-av-09-zoom.jpg?imwidth=1224

s2216745-av-06-zoom.jpg?imwidth=1224

Exhibit B - Eye Pencil

Spoiler

s1221084-av-03-zoom.jpg?imwidth=1224

p133707-av-01-zoom.jpg?imwidth=1224

Eye pencil don't look like cuts, while eyeliners can.

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

1 hour ago, blastertoyo said:

Because what was posted isn’t actually offensive. Triggering doesn’t automatically equal offensive. The context of this should be taken into consideration, in the makeup industry, an infinite amount of companies have done swatches on that part of the arm, ppl really be acting like this is the first time they’ve ever seen a wrist swatch. 

This sounds really insensitive. And you’re totally disregarding the points I previously made about how those images look nothing like any other swatches. By arguing that this isn’t “actually offensive” and bringing up context completely minimizes the harmful and real effect that image has clearly had on people because of how triggering it has proven to be.

• thanks 3