Storming of the US Capitol: String of Resignations

BenG

Moderator 6,288
18 minutes ago, danwasd said:

Twitter's decision of censoring the tweet could be countereffective, though. The claim of election fraud is disputed, of course, but there's no arguments in favor of censoring a tweet at a level that it's not possible to RT, like or comment, imo 

His message was also counter effective. Telling them to be peaceful while reiterating that the election is “fraud” and that he won, which is the reason this mess is even happening. Not to mention earlier in the day he told them to “fight”. He’s full of sh!t. I’m glad Twitter is censoring him this way and I hope that once he’s out of the WH they’ll ban him altogether. 

• thanks 2

A Popster Is Born 14,819
1 minute ago, SLAG said:

His message was also counter effective. Telling them to be peaceful while reiterating that the election is “fraud” and that he won, which is the reason this mess is even happening. Not to mention earlier in the day he told them to “fight”. He’s full of sh!t. I’m glad Twitter is censoring him this way and I hope that once he’s out of the WH they’ll name him altogether. 

Well, I'm not. Freedom of speech is one of the last rights we should remove to anyone. There's a clear difference between battling fake news (the red thingy) and extralimiting in how you manage your platform. There are some guidelines and, as long as he doesn't break them, an improvisation of ruling is, if not, pretty close to tyranny :classic_mellow:

Pop-a-911-ster 28,962
x3
1 minute ago, danwasd said:

Well, I'm not. Freedom of speech is one of the last rights we should remove to anyone. There's a clear difference between battling fake news (the red thingy) and extralimiting in how you manage your platform. There are some guidelines and, as long as he doesn't break them, an improvisation of ruling is, if not, pretty close to tyranny :classic_mellow:

Freedom of speech is not when some one is trying to derail democracy . 

• thanks 4

Moderator 6,288
2 minutes ago, danwasd said:

But it’s not a violation of his freedom of speech is it? The tweet is still public. They wouldn’t be censoring his tweets if it wasn’t violating their guidelines in some way. He’s not the only one who gets their tweet marked like this. 

A Popster Is Born 14,819
Just now, little legend said:

Freedom of speech is not when some one is trying to derail democracy . 

I completely agree with you. But, however, censorship only makes the problem bigger, as you're not trying to convince why the other part is wrong. You just eliminate their view. And by reject it, you make them more obstinate in their believes. 

A Popster Is Born 14,819
2 minutes ago, SLAG said:

But it’s not a violation of his freedom of speech is it? The tweet is still public. They wouldn’t be censoring his tweets if it wasn’t violating their guidelines in some way. He’s not the only one who gets their tweet marked like this. 

Well, it could be arguable that in a platform like Twitter your audience is the sum of followers and the indirect audience you obtain via RTs. That being said, if the guidelines are being broken I'd have nothing more to say, ofc.

Edited by danwasd
  • paws up 1

7 minutes ago, danwasd said:

Regular people are banned/suspended for far less. They are actually punished for sharing art or making jokes. Trump has been inciting violence and racism sentiment for years now. And with little to no consequence. You’re arguing that a website taking responsibility and condemning this is tyrannical. That’s not how it works, imo.

• thanks 1

A Popster Is Born 14,819
2 minutes ago, HeavyMetalLover said:

Regular people are banned/suspended for far less. They are actually punished for sharing art or making jokes. Trump has been inciting violence and racism sentiment for years now. And with little to no consequence. You’re arguing that a website taking responsibility and condemning this is tyrannical. That’s not how it works, imo.

I'm asking that Twitter takes the responsibility it has based only on what he publishes. It's not logical that Twitter censors, if not in the guidelines, nothing based on pass activity. If something he says or tweets goes against the guidelines, it's ok to censor it. 

Just now, danwasd said:

I'm asking that Twitter takes the responsibility it has based only on what he publishes. It's not logical that Twitter censors, if not in the guidelines, nothing based on pass activity. If something he says or tweets goes against the guidelines, it's ok to censor it. 

Right. I’m saying that they’re already doing that, but not effectively, and certainly not when it comes to Trump. Their priority has never been censoring him.

• paws up 1

26 minutes ago, danwasd said:

Freedom of speech is not absolute, and has never been articulated as such.

• paws up 2

27 minutes ago, danwasd said:

Well they didnt even deleted his tweet. They are simply making an effort to stop his false claim of vote fraudery to spread even further

• paws up 3

29 minutes ago, danwasd said:

And by this logic people can spread their racist, homophobic, sexist thoughts because they are free to speak

• paws up 2